This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Plant Hormone

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by lightyear, Sep 25, 2010.

1. lightyear

lightyear Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    5:00 PM
    Hello,

Visited a local hardware this morning and seen a product that says: Plant hormone--Stimulates plant buds, promote rooting, and help plant recove from shock due to transpalnting.

Any of hyou guys tried using plant hormone in their planted tank? did it work well?

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi, I didn't try, but I remember reading that garderners can use Auxins which were chemically synthesized as a growth stimulant. It's not a nutrient though. maybe it's usable after pruning plants or when they have difficulty to root, that is, if you make sure that all nutrients are present. No plant will grow with a ton of hormones and no N or P.

regards,
    dutchy

3. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    My brother has a greenhouse and raises nursery stock for extra $$. He uses it when he sets out cuttings to improve rooting success. He says it's also usefully when making tree grafts. Don't see much of a use in a tank though.

Pat

#3 pat w, Sep 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2010
  4. lightyear

Local Time:
    thanks guys. you know I brought it just for curiousity. lol. I'll post update of the result tank with no added plant hormone vs to those that has.

5. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  6. argnom

argnom Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I've used Stimroot a while back for terrestrial plants. It works well and when making cuttings, almost all of them will take root as opposed to most of them without. Just dip the cut end in the powder, tap the excess and the cutting goes straight into "wet" dirt. No need for rockwool or stuff like that.

As for aquarium plants, I think it won't do much good (or harm) since most (if not all) of the powder will be washed out when dunking the cuttings in the water.

Now for the dry start method... hummm... I think it could actually help. Are you starting a dry start tank lightyear? Please do keep us posted. I have a small jar of this stuff and, for now, can't seem to find a use for it. :p

7. lightyear

Local Time:

I had just flooded this iwagumi 7 days ago. thinking to speed up my hc, i posted it by the way in general plant dscussion namned "my iwagumis". tried putting some hormone it had been three days and have not seen much yet diffrence