This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Plant Doctor Help Needed, Black/transparent Stripes At Plant Leaves

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by hyperkoule, Jan 17, 2018.

1. hyperkoule

hyperkoule New Member

Local Time:
    8:36 PM
    Hello, thank you for few minutes of your life that might save hours or days of mine...

I have recently - 3 months ago started with aquarium. It was supposed to be fish aquarium but i have somehow felt in love with planted aquarium. I have bought Co2, fluid fertilizers, water tests...

So far i see that all is getting better, yet is so far from being perfect.

Please see pictures of plant and give me advice what is wrong. I do not have substrate, just gravel but there are caps and tabs in space of roots for plants that seems need it

Alternanthera - leaves curled outside, cracks in, yet plant is alive, grow is stunt, this affect old and new leaves
    Echinodorus Bleheri - few leaves with yellow tips, few leaves too bright
    Java fang - new leaves bright transparent tips

cryptocoryne does reproduce but does not grow in size

Light 2800lumens led, aquarium 110l, internal and external filter, water values seems to be okey but it is hard to say as results differ based on light conditions :(

20180116_185437.jpg

20180116_185503.jpg

20180116_185623.jpg

20180116_185651.jpg

20180116_185655.jpg

2. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    3:36 AM
    I don't think the light is the problem. The first photo seems to show physical damage ? Old or new plant ? The other plants seem to be nitrogen deficient, but it is likely that this is just the tip of the iceberg. What fertilizer do you use, how much how often ? Same questions for water changes.

Dennis Singh likes this.
  3. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    6:36 PM
    Yeah this definitely looks like physical damage. I'm looking at you Golden algae eater!

4. hyperkoule

hyperkoule New Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for reply,

Here is what should be results of my weekly fertilization:

No3 10.92ppm
    N 2.52ppm
    K 7.70ppm
    PO4 1.50ppm
    P 0.30ppm
    Fe 0.35ppm
    Mg 0.73ppm
    dGH 0.01ppm
    Mn 0.02ppm
    I 0.01ppm
    B 0.00ppm
    Cu 0.00ppm
    Mo 0.00ppm
    Zn 0.00ppm
    Li 0.00ppm
    Ni 0.00ppm
    Al 0.00ppm
    Co 0.00ppm
    Sn 0.00ppm
    F 0.00ppm
    K2O 0.05ppm
    Ca 3.64ppm

This is calculated by Rotala Butterfly, i use 3x week Macro and 3x week micro. Using Easy-Life fertilizers in fluid form, by water tests from JBL they do works...supplementation is visible on results. My current issue is phosphate as I'm now using filter medium that remove SiO2, but also Phosphates as i had high SiO2 and diatoms(hope i say it right). Therefor i dose now extra phosphates above the mentioned dosing as by tests i see my level of phosphates drops to zero every day.

I cannot measure calcium, i do not think that damage is cause by Golden Chinesse Algea eater as this can be found even on the tiniest leaves - picture 3.

What is weird are brighter new leaves on Java Fang with transparent tips. Also curling new and old leaves on Alternathera that i can now also notice little bit at Ludwigia palustris red.

I do change 25l water every week (25% +/-), Trying to do EI that does not force me to 50percent water changes every week, so dosing a bit less.

5. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    3:36 AM
    If the Ludwigia is new, it may be physical damage that occurred during transport/handling. Plant leaves were crushed between something, twissted etc. I would just look at the new growth from this particular plant.
    I do not know what you mean by Java Fang, which photo shows it ? Do you mean Java Fern, if so new leaves will be a lighter shade of green and the growing tips are normally transparent. As to the curling of the Althernathera, I do not thing sufficient evidence has been provided to link it to a certain problem. Some will say traces, but a very biased verdict most of the time.

The dosing should be enough for low light tank, but you should try and target EI values to begin. After things work well reduce the dosing for your tank's needs if you want, play with the water change schedule etc. ..

Throw away that filter medium, it only creates problems. PO4 will certainly be a problem all the time with the medium inside. After the aquarium is established diatoms will go away or will be easy to clean. I would be skeptical of the values tests give. At least make a reference solution.

6. hyperkoule

hyperkoule New Member

Local Time:
    My bad,yes i ment Java Fern. Thank you for explanation.

I do check after week what values are in tank to see if there is enough of nutritients that is why I keep values at that range...I can always add more and see if that might was problem.

Filter médium will go out today. Thank you for tip.

The damage we speak about that stripes at leaves are on new and old plants also, old and new leaves. I will try to dose more micro nutritients.

I will post update in next week's.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Tags: