Plant Death Across Most Of My Fish Room

CaptMicha

Oct 26, 2018
USA
I have 20x low tech tanks with various LED full spectrum lighting and various stocking and plants. All tropical temps.

The only continuum is the water and fertilizer. I'm having plant death and issues with them every time I fertilize.

The pic is a single example. It's black algae growing on and making holes in the plants, at the tips or across the foliage, leaves turning yellow and dissolving, and no real healthy growth.

Ferts

CSM+B = 22g

KNO3=93g

KH2PO4=16g

K2SO4=3g

1 pump every 10 gallons 1x a week, lights off

Then I reduced this by half.

CSM+b= 11g

KNO3=47g

KH2PO4=8g

Same application instructions.

I'm using the Zorfox desktop calculator and choosing solution 500 mL size bottle and 2 mL dose per 10 gallon.

Dosing method is custom. Leaving on auto and for CSM+B, I'm choosing iron.

I can't do frequent dosing. 1-2 x a week is the best I can manage. I'm doing a large water change a week on my tanks.

I'd just like some healthy plants.

What am I doing wrong? I have 7.77ppm Nitrates in my water supply. I'd have thought that reducing my N by half to accommodate this should have helped.

I stock my livestock very low and oversize my tank size. I use root tabs in mostly pool filter sand.

I've reduced and raised light levels across my tanks and it doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference in my issues.

80632FCD-4E32-46AA-981A-03F4CAA745D2.jpeg