This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Plant biomass and co2

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Henry Hatch, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Henry Hatch

Henry Hatch Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    8:32 AM
    I read an interesting thread on plant biomass. One of the effects of a high plant load is increased need for nutrients and co2. I was wondering how significantly the co2 demand increases. I think I may have underestimated the importance.

Henry

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:32 AM
    Yes, this subject has been discussed on multiple threads/forums because it affects so much in our tanks..........as you have discovered :D

This is why current/flow is important as the increased biomass tends to curtail the current and the distribution of nutrients/c02. Plants suffer and that allows algae to gain a foothold.

Another reason TIMELY pruning is important.

I have just added a HOT 25OGPH magnum and a 250 gph pump (with a sponge) to my 180 to experiment with this. I am hoping the increased flow will help with nute spread......

My rainbows LOVE the extra flow and spend all their free time playing in it...