This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pin holes in plants

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jsrevenaugh, Jan 1, 2008.

1. jsrevenaugh

jsrevenaugh Junior Poster

I've got an established 58 gallon tanks, fertilizing with EI, running pressurized CO2 monitoried with a 4 dKh drop checker--all stuff I've learned about here. But I have a question/problem. The crypts and swords in my tank all have small holes in the older leaves. The tank is established, so these aren't from a transition (like recent planting). I prune the leaves when they get too "lacey." Soon enough, the newer growth develops the same holes.

I haven't noticed any obvious signs of deficiencies--no yellow or curled leaves--just the holes. I've been trying to convince myself they are the work of the SAEs or the clown pleco (one of the latter, four of the former). I feed the pleco veggie wafers and would happily take him/her back to the LFS if I could only catch it.

So... here's the question: are the holes the work of fish or should I be looking for something in my water chemistry?

I can post pictures if necessary.

Thanks.

2. Carissa

Carissa Guru Class Expert

Have you changed your lighting recently or pruned a lot so that the crypts and swords are getting more light than they used to? How much light intensity do you have on the tank?

3. jsrevenaugh

jsrevenaugh Junior Poster

Lighting etc

I have 3 wpg. That hasn't changed, nor has tank pruning. The holes are a long-standing problem (months), not something new or occasional.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Mg, CO2, or K+.

Regards,
    Tom Barr