Picture Moss

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
How I love my mosses and photographing them. Here is a thread with different pictures and species.

Taxiphyllum alternans

common name taiwan moss

level: easy

This moss can branch out or grow stringy like java moss depending on conditions, its in the taxiphyllum family one of the easiests genus' to grow. Anchors very well

file:///Users/Home/Desktop/untitled%20folder%205/fissidens%20sp%20029.jpg file:///Users/Home/Desktop/untitled%20folder%205/fissidens%20sp%20009.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Taxiphyllum barbieri

common name java moss

This is one of the only mosses that I would suggest trimming and keep well trimmed to achieve a desired look. Otherwise it just grows all over the place, still can grow uniformly though

germybugs

Junior Poster
Jan 17, 2015
NYC
Nice pics! Second the suggestion on trimming the java moss. It's pretty messy and tangled if left to its own devices.

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Are there distinguishing traits for these two mosses?

From the pictures, I can recognize they are different but wouldn't be able to explain how.

And thank you for being a moss lover. The observations about trimming was also very helpful.

Is the water temperature important when keeping these mosses?

Edit !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Tug said:
Are there distinguishing traits for these two mosses?
From the pictures, I can recognize they are different but wouldn't be able to explain how.

And thank you for being a moss lover. The observations about trimming was also very helpful.

Is the water temperature important when keeping these mosses?

Edit !!

Great question. If I saw java moss and taiwan moss(grown poorly), I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Java moss has a more irregular branching pattern. Taiwan if grown properly has a more uniform pattern. Tips balling, is a good sign of good growth start as you can see in the next post picture of mini taiwan moss. Hope this helps, thanks!

As for temperature, been able to grow moss in about 80 degrees F, thats all I can say on this. Tom Barr states as water temperature rises the need for co2 rises with mosses, well with any plant in general...I hope that was accurate Tom.

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Common name mini taiwan moss or mini java moss

I'm not going to put a scientific name on this one yet as I do not know it and do not know if its accurate on this other site. For all I know Dr. Moss and the owner of the site...nevermind

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
If anyone knows where I can get a compound microscope for cheap or trade me one, it may do wonders for id'ing mosses, i don't know can't predict the future, but it may help. I heard you can get them at hospitals when they upgrade their equipment. I've got plenty to trade.

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Common name Pilo moss

scientific name, unknown to me as of now

level: Imma put this at the easy level, it grows well for me and I've given and sold some and does well for many people

This moss is a huge score, drapes on driftwood, any irregular fronds that don't drape/wrap around the driftwood can be loosely removed. This is by far my favorite moss to present.

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Mosses are either terrestrial , semi-aquatic (weeping, xmas, so on), or fully aquatic (fissidens) which makes sense why this moss does well in high co2 tanks. So from post above I put into my high tech tank, wave moss(looks like a liverwort or something that likes the co2), mini fissidens, fissidens sulawesi, and fissidens thailand

so here pictures of newly tied except for the fissidens fontanus, i'll update the growth as they grow or die

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Common name Mini weeping aka java spring moss

This moss would benefit from a little co2 it looks like. Also looks like if grown in ro water, you'll get different results.

But those are just two theories which i haven't tried out.

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Beam of light shines down hope on this weeping moss

IMG_6732_zpsvewwsqh2.jpg

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Its very important to start off with good moss. Buy it from a seller that doesn't have any algae on it and the better the looking moss, the better success you will have. Here are pictures of cameroon moss, the bad stuff just went through a lot of different things, and the nice looking stuff went into straight out good conditions. It makes a huge difference. I'm seeing a lot of sellers out there where they have good moss growth but its infested with string algae, this stuff is hard to impossible to get rid of once entangled into the moss. Buy from me, not from them. Also start with good portions, the smaller the portion, the less "sexing?" going on, so with more, you'll generally have more success.

Cameroon mosses...They're the exact same moss, i guarantee it

IMG_6788_zps4hlde8ld.jpg

IMG_6787_zpsatiiahhx.jpg

IMG_6786_zpsnmofs8tr.jpg

IMG_6785_zps5ohkft3i.jpg