This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Picked My Method, Some Questions

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Pierre-Luc Boily, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Pierre-Luc Boily

Pierre-Luc Boily New Member

Local Time:
    3:11 AM
    Hello,

2 months ago I bought the tank below without special goal. After buying a light that I thought it was needed, and having an algae bloom, I realized that I would prefer the low-tech method with low light and perhaps excel and WC every week (30-50%). The following is my spec :
    • The fluval vista 23g
      • Capacity : 23g
      • Aquarium Size : 30” x 12” x 18” (76 x 30 x 45.7 cm)
      • Filter : AquaClear 50
    • Light (Included LED in the hood)
      • LED Watts : 8.4 W
      • LED Lumens : 800 LM
      • LED Color Temp. : 8000 K
      • 8 hours a day, separated in 2
    • My plants are :
      • Hygrophila siemensis 53b (Died in my bleach solution. Ordered a new one at LFS)
      • Microsorum pterotus narrow
      • taxyphyllum spiky
      • crytocoryne x willisi
      • bacopa compact
      • anubia petite
      • anubia gracilis
      • anubia nana (not yet received from LFS)
      • Bucephalandra
      • Limnobium laevigatum (not yet received from LFS)
    • Soil
      • Netlea Langa Soil
      • CaribSea Super Nat (white sand)
    • Fertilization
      • Tropica premium, one pump every day (1,2 ml)
    • WC 30-50% every week
    • Fish/shrimps
      • 6 guppies
      • 10 neon tetra
      • 6 amano
      • 4 cherry
      • 2 bloody mary
      • 1 blue rilli
      • (I`d like to add 4-6 cory in a near future)

Questions :
    1. Light : Is my light is OK for low-tech non-CO2 (perhaps excel)? I would say 800LM and PAR 30 is OK, but I want to make sure. Otherwise, I will go back to my T5H0, but with only 1x24w instead
    2. Excel : I read PlantedAquaria_2001_2_22 paper from Ole Pederson where it says that some CO2 is good for growing plants even in low-light. I might want to add excel, but I read that some plants don`t like it. In the list above, is there a plant that don`t like excel?
    3. Fertilization : I read quite a bit about EI. I don`t want to calculate my own dose, and I am wondering if adding the recommended dose of tropica premium is kind of doing EI? I am adding one pump every day (1,2 ml).

tropica.png