This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Photoperiods

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Frolicsome_Flora, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Frolicsome_Flora

Frolicsome_Flora Guru Class Expert

Just a quick question really..

do you all carry out a dawn/dusk period on your lighting schedules? If you do, how long do you have for your dawn/dusk period?

Ive done this ever since the beginning, but Im never really convinced that it makes much difference to the fish certainly as far as reducing stress goes, as the room is always light when the lights go on/off anyway.

Just curious :)

2. neil1973

neil1973 Prolific Poster

I tend to use 9 or 10 hours at full intensity.

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Years ago I tried briefly to use reduced light intensity at the beginning and ending of the lighting period, to reduce the fish stress from the sudden change in lighting. I couldn't see any difference. The change in light from bright to dim caused just as much agitation in the fish as going from bright to dark, and the same at lights on. So, I gave it up.

4. fresh_newby

fresh_newby Prolific Poster

I do the dawn/dusk thing. It is more for me. I like the lights on longer, but I don't to run my metals for more than 8 hours, so i put the PC's on for and hour before and after the metals so I can view my tank for longer.