Photoperiod

underground

Junior Poster
Feb 17, 2005
As a side issue to algae control, I'm keen to know the optimum photoperiod for plants. I was using ten hours, with a little 'ambient' light in the morning from the window (not direct sunshine however).

I have noticed other quoting 12 - 14 hour photoperiods, so which to use? I know there are likely to be other factors I need to rectify as per my other thread, however since photoperiod is fundamental and easily corrected, I should get it right if possible.

I have a 96 litre tank, with an 18W Juwel tube (a dirty yellow colour) and in the front a 36W Power Compact T5 tube in 'Triplus' which is supposed to be a good plant spectrum.

JadeButterfly

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Photoperiod

I've always been quoted anywhere between 10-12hr is good...

I've always been told that the more light you have, the less photoperiod you need...but ever since I started dosing EI, I've always went for 12hr period so the plants can get as much as they can from the dosage.

mine photoperiod goes like this (45G):

11am-12pm 96W
12-10pm 2x96W
10-11pm 96W

I've notice between 10-11pm my plants start to close up...and less pearling.

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK

I've noticed that some plants do start to close up before lights out..........Just a natural thing like some terrestrial plants and flowers. I read somewhere that plants produce more growth when the lights are out. I run a 12 hour cycle with the first and last half hour on reduced lighting without problems. Don't see any need to change it.

Ian

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I do 10-11hrs generally.

Some plants are fine with more/less etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Wö£fëñxXx

Prolific Poster
Jan 24, 2005

I usually do 12 to 14 hour's highlight, then probably another 2 to 4 hour's low light, for viewing, as long as you're dosing is on, there really isn't an issue.

Laith

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Geneva, Switzerland

I run mine 9 to 10 hours.

As far as I know, light intensity and photoperiod are not interlinked, nor should they be.