This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

photoperiod: O2 pearling and O2 string

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Corne, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Corne

Corne Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:40 PM
    It is a known phenomenon that plants assimilate during photosynthesis.This can be seen by 'pearling'. (left pic)
    But sometimes you can see a string of O2 leaving the plants, common by low-tech plants
    Especially in combination with too much light. (right pic)
    string.JPG
    I presume this is an overproduction of O2 the plant can't release quashing a overpressure on cellular level.
    Results are bursting cells where the O2 will be pushed out.

Is this a good assumption; any thoughts/ comments?

Marilu likes this.
  2. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The "bubbling" on the right picture is occurring when the plant has some damage, my hidrophilla pinnatifida is always doing that after I trim its stem

Corne and fablau like this.
  3. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    3:40 PM
    Yes, Skija is right, that's what I call "streaming"...

Corne likes this.
  4. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    When plants are growing they are producing oxygen. That oxygen is released into the water, and immediately dissolved in the water. But, if the rate of release of oxygen is greater than what will dissolve immediately in the water it forms a bubble on the leaf surface. A still higher release of oxygen will cause a stream or streams of oxygen bubbles to rise from the leaf surfaces. If the water is nearly saturated with oxygen, the bubbles will form faster.

Marilu and Corne like this.
  5. Corne

Corne Junior Poster

Local Time:
    let me reframe my question:

When the plant releases his O2 in a string (as shown in the right pic) it's on a spot where there's presumably some damage made.
    O.k. but my question is: is that damage done in earlier stages or is the cause of damage done by O2 overpressure on cellular level.

6. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    6:40 PM
    My plants pearl and stream after WC. Is it caused by elevated photosynthesis from high CO2 content in new water, or just gassing out compressed air in new water?

7. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:40 PM
    I think I understand where you’re going with this. In vascular plants, gas is released via stomata, pores on the leaf surface, not so much through the cell walls. The rate that induces streaming would depend on the gas pressure, size of the pores, and saturation of the water. Tissue damage is also a common cause. I’ve noticed when mine do that it is almost always from the same location each day, from some damage or defect I presume.

Maybe this helps:
    http://www.biology-pages.info/G/GasExchange.html

Corne likes this.
  8. Marilu

Marilu New Member

Local Time:
    6:40 PM
    After I sprayed H202 on algae, there was lots of what I think must have been false pearling. It diminished over 24 hours. I was surprised by it and intrigued by how H202 interacted in the water. Pearling is fascinating. I hope I get to see some in my new tank.