This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phosphates

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by jonathan11, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Reading through some of the posts, I noticed a particular reference that mentioned phosphates were important for red plants. Is this correct? Would chelated iron have any more importance for red plants than for green plants? I'm one of those old geezers who is hesitant to add phosphates (my heart misses a beat when someone mentions it). I'm still getting over nuking my tank with nitrates- but boy, does it work!

Walter

2. Gill Man

Gill Man Prolific Poster

Re: Phosphates

I do not see a reason why phosphates would affect the color of red plants. The red, orange and yellow pigments in plants are from a family of pigments called carotenoids. The chemcial structure of carotenoids is a carbon lycopene chain with some side and end groups. The coloration comes from the amount of carbon=carbon double bonds in the chain and has nothing to do with phosphate.

Phosphate is collected and stored by plants for other biological uses. They don't need a whole lot. 1-2 ppm in a highly lit tank with CO2 and nitrates is not a big deal. Through testing, I have found that the plants in my tanks, in their current condition and mass, remove 1 ppm phosphate per day. This could change if I do some heavy pruning, or change the lighting duration, etc.