This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

PH

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by limatt65, Jan 30, 2008.

1. limatt65

limatt65 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    7:12 PM
    Hello everybody I am new to the site and would like to get some helpful advice. I have a tank 180gals. with both plants and fish. I am adding Seachem Flourish excel to the tank twice a week. My question is will the adding of this organic carbon cause a change to my ph ? Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Matt

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Flourish Excel doesn't affect pH. Only gaseous CO2 has the pH effect that we discuss so often. How much light do you use on that 180 gallon tank? That is what determines the need for CO2.

3. limatt65

limatt65 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I have 2 36" flora-glo and 2 36" flora-sun. The lights are on timers, 3 hours in the morning and 7 hours at night. Natural sunlight between morning and evening hours.

4. tkos

tkos Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I use excel, my water is very soft and I have never seen any affect on pH from it. Even when dosing twice the normal amount daily.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Excel will be costly on a 180 gallon tank, but it can be used well on such tanks.

Generally about 300-400w is all you;d need, you can use CO2 and have wonderful results in this range.

I have a 180 as well, and I have about 2/gal on Pc lighting on a pendent.
    Then I also have several MH's as well I use for more light if I seek faster growth rates and plan on gardening more.

Most folks are better off with 2w/gal though and smaller tanks for Excel.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

6. limatt65

limatt65 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Right now tkos I am only dosing the tank twice a week, I don't have tuff plants mostly jave ferns and anubius. There is still much to learn but I also want to keep fish in the tank.

7. limatt65

limatt65 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for the info Tom but alot of the lingo is greek to me. I am new to planted tanks and have alot to learn. Are there any good books I can get to read up on it?