PH with CO2 and Aquasoil: 4.3

nazrm

Prolific Poster
Feb 12, 2011
Norway
Before I swapped substrate to AS Amazonia (1) I had around 5.4-5.5 PH with CO2.

Now I have 4.3, and it strikes me as very low. My KH also went from 2 to 0. I know it's pretty common for this to happen. Is it necessary to raise KH? It's only been one day now with that PH value, and my fish don't seem to mind, so far. It doesn't really worry me, but I figure I want to be on the safe side and consult the more experienced people!

Note: PH without CO2 is 5.38 now, used to be 6.5 with regular sand substrate.
(I did calibrate my CO2 probe recently, droptest show about the same)

nazrm

Prolific Poster
Feb 12, 2011
Norway
Did that just now, it was off by +0.14. So PH is lower than 4.3. My droptest kit doesn't measure below 5.0. Doesn't seem that unlikely with a 1 PH drop from AS, does it?

Hallen

Guru Class Expert
Oct 8, 2010
The Netherlands (Gelderland)
If your KH is really 0, I would up that a little to let's say 2-3 just to have a decent buffer. At 0 you are prone to acid drops (dunno if I translated that right), anything higher and you are safe from them unless the KH get's used up.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
With new ADA aqua soil, water changes need done, 50-80% 2-3x a week for the 1st month. I'd not worry much about pH/KH.
After 1-2 months, you can add fish.

I have similar tap water, no issues.

You cannot use the pH/KH chart, but you can use pH as a relative measure, but not absolute.

nazrm

Prolific Poster
Feb 12, 2011
Norway
Have had it running with new AS for 3 weeks now, added fish after 2. (Water is so much clearer with AS compared to the sand substrate I was using!) I'll leave the PH/KH alone then, one less thing to worry about!

Thanks!