This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ph Meter Accuracy

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Andy the minion, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Andy the minion

Andy the minion Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:19 AM
    Not sure if this is the right place for the post but anyhoo… I recently replaced a cheap pH pen with a mid range version with a remote sensor on a DIN plug. So the instructions were slightly awkward to read and it was missing the calibration buffers, but it was temperature compensated, auto 3 point calibrated and a little pot for KCL storage solution so it looked reasonable.
    I calibrated it in my stock buffer as it was a few tenths off and took some readings, the first was over 1 point higher than I expected so I checked two non-planted tanks as well, and then repeated, and repeated, and repeated. Every time I got different readings despite allowing the probe to soak in the tank for a full minute before taking a reading. Values range from 6.8 to 7.7 which is well into 'chocolate teapot' territory (API drop says 6.4ish)
    Now I assume I have a defective sensor, and just possibly it's a return as the buffer was missing, but I have had consistency issues with probes before.
    I have had a nice Extech that played up and fluctuated 0.3pH in the buffers straight from the box.
    I was wondering what are others experiences are, is there a trick to these things apart from rinsing, correct storage and not touching the probes? Do you have to pay for a lab version to get a decent unit? It has even occurred that chemistry of my very soft water is playing some part in the problem (I don't just mean because of it's low buffering capacity)

2. Jaap

Jaap Member

Local Time:
    4:19 AM
    Water with conductivity < 200 uS requires a special kind of probe.