This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ph Drop Noob Question

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Bishop, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Bishop

Bishop Member

Local Time:
    2:53 PM
    Recently found out I was using co2 ph/kh chart all wrong.
    My gear decided to all break at once so now I am back up and running i've tried to sort my co2 understanding out once and for all but I can't seem to find direct answers.

My tank before co2 injection reads on average 6.85ph.
    My Ph Drop by lights on is roughly at 6.0 ph. A 0.85 drop from pre injection.
    However I've tried leaving tank water in a cup over night and putting it in a clean jar a few times and shaking it. Each time they read the same 7.10 ph.
    Tank seems to drop another 0.23 depending on temp over the course of the photoperiod.

- Should my aim of 1 Ph drop be from tank water pre injection 6.85 or degassed water 7.10.

- Should the 1 ph drop be by the time the lights come on?

- Is the Ph drop from lights on considered part of the fluctuations that can cause algae and poor plant health?

- If it is measured from the 7.10 should I be trying to get my tank to degas overnight to the 7.10 or have I over thought all of this and its fine?

Some people seem to get this stuff some don't care. But I have seen a range of answers to these questions but it's been on my list of things to understand for a while.

Thanks

2. burr740

burr740 ~~ Lover of Micros ~~
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    9:53 PM
    Go by the degassed value to calculate how much the PH has dropped from co2. Having a slightly higher value pre-injection assumes the tank hasnt fully degassed overnight. This is normal especially for bigger tanks.

Mine fully degasses around 7.75, just before co2 kicks on its 7.4.

There's no reason to shoot for fully degassing overnight.

I like to have a full 1 point drop by lights on. Everything just seems to do better. In fact I have it dropping about 1.1, then it peaks a couple hours later down 1.35 or so

It takes about 2 hours to drop the PH 1.1. I could drop it a lot quicker if I wanted to, but then it becomes too much for the livestock after a few more hours. So I run a lower injection rate and start it earlier.

This is part of fine tuning the system where you have a good concentration for the plants but not too much for livestock, balancing the the start time with rate of injection

Christophe, Allwissend and Bishop like this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Member

Local Time:
    2:53 PM
    Ok that's great info thank you.
    Seems I'm on the right track.

Now I just have no idea how I grew plants before hand

4. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:53 AM
    Burr just gave you the most important information about CO2, if you have good filtration and flow, some ferts and not too high light then your and the road to success

Bishop likes this.
Tags: