This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

pH can't go lower than 5.5 with CO2... science or myth?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Righteous, May 9, 2017.

1. Righteous

Righteous Subscriber

Local Time:
    8:26 PM
    I read in a couple of places, this forum included, that for some reason CO2 addition is unable to push pH lower than 5.5. Is there any truth to this, and if so what's the science behind it?

Currently I'm running a tank with very low KH ( < 1) and start at about pH 6.6. With CO2 running heavily i end up about 5.6, and it doesn't seem to go any lower. So I'm wondering if that's just due to my setup not being able to push more CO2, or due to chemistry. If it's chemistry, does the lower limit of pH mean that additional CO2 is somehow converting, off gassing, etc, or is the CO2 ppm still going up without being measurable via pH?

2. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    8:26 PM
    I don't believe it's true. I am 1.5 hours into CO2 injection right now and my PH reads 5.31. This is with my skimmer on. If I turn the skimmer off, I drop to 5.15-5.20.

i have Aquasoil with little over 1 KH. Even before Aquasoil I had eco-complete and 1KH (RO mineralized) and used to be around 5.3-5.4.