This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Petroleum Jelly as Lubricant

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Steven, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Steven

Steven Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    8:18 PM
    Is it safe for flora and fauna to use Petroleum Jelly or to be known as Vaseline as a lubricant on wheel pump inside canister filter?

What is Petroleum Jelly made from?

Thank you.

2. Cyclesafe

Cyclesafe Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I use it to keep gaskets soft. Eheim's "Spezialfett" or special grease, isn't really so spezial. It's described in both the German and English manual translations simply as vaseline. Ergo....

3. Seattle_Aquarist

Seattle_Aquarist Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    12:18 PM
    Hi Steven,

Because Petroleum Jelly is an oil based product, it could break down and cause an oil residue on the water surface which in turn could substantially reduce the exchange of CO2 and O2. I would suggest a Silicone Based Lubricant like that made my Marineland.

4. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
  5. barbarossa4122

barbarossa4122 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I will use "Spezialfett" instead of "normal grease:)

6. Steven

Steven Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Both products suggested by Seattle_Aquarist (Silicon Lubricant) and nipat (Eheim Aquatic Maintenance Spray) are unavailable here so I'm looking for another alternative. If the only issue using Vaseline is oily surface, I think I can minimize it with my Surface Skimmer unit?

Thank you.

7. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Vaseline, Good for What Ails You

Hi Steven,

I have used petroleum jelly for decades with no ill affects. :gw

It is not soluble in water and as long as the water temperature does not exceed 45 C (113 F) there should be no film, oily or otherwise.

If any gets into the aquarium, it is just a little glob of stuff, I have not seen any flora or fauna harmed.:)

Petroleum jelly is a mixture of hydrocarbons, originally derived from a byproduct of oil drilling (rod wax, I think:confused:).

Biollante

8. Steven

Steven Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Good to know it is safe to be used in planted tank, Bio.

I have got myself a kg for a measly $. 2.50 and guess it will not last for my entire life :). Thank you.

9. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Does petroleum jelly biodegrade rubber - isn't that what gaskets are made of?

10. Cyclesafe

Cyclesafe Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Gaskets are made from a variety of elastomers, the very cheapest of which is plasticized vinyl. Vinyl gaskets are swelled by petroleum jelly and their structural integrity is destroyed. Natural rubber or latex gaskets were the original "rubber" gaskets, but not many gaskets are made from this any more. Petroleum jelly degrades rubber gaskets too. Good quality gaskets, however, like those in Eheims, are made from elastomers that easily withstand petroleum jelly.

If in doubt use silicone.

11. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Been Using Vaseline for 50+ Years--For All Kinds of Stuff...

Hi,

I have heard the “petroleum jelly will degrade (corrode, damage, harm) seals and gaskets,” all these years, I do not know, just my experience.:)

Honestly I have never seen any damage I would (or could) attribute to petroleum jelly.:gw

I do not know if this is because my seals and gaskets are not made of “rubber” or the information regarding petroleum jelly and rubber is incorrect.

• Or if being an evil plant monster the physical laws of the universe do not apply to me…:rolleyes:

Just did a little research on a brand I can identify made from Buna-n rubber compounds:

• Most common o-ring material; used in hydraulic pumps, seals, carburetors, transmissions, water pumps, and, as lowest cost option, many general applications.
    • Resists
      • Petroleum-based oils, greases and hydraulic fluids, aliphatic hydrocarbons like propane, butane, petroleum oil, mineral oil, diesel fuel and fuel oils, vegetable oils, organic fats, most silicone-based fluids and lubricants, alcohols, most HFA, HFB and HFC fluids, alkali and salt solutions.
    • Attacked by
      • Sunlight, ozone, weathering, phosphate esters, ketones, glycol-based brake fluids, high-aromatic fuels and hydrocarbons like benzene, chlorinated hydrocarbons like trichlorethylene, polar solvents like ketone, acetone, acetic acid, ethylene-ester, and strong acids.

{Above information stolen from http://www.metrogasket.com/o-rings/material_selection_guide.htm & http://www.globalspec.com/LearnMore/Mechanical_Components/Seals/O_rings.}:eek:

Biollante