This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Persistent driftwood fungus

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Ollie2, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Ollie2

Ollie2 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    3:21 AM
    It looks like a black soft fuzz covering the brachwood. The first time it showed up was when I tried to set my tank a year ago. Back then, I had to brake down the setup before even plant it because I didn't have the time to take care of it. I treated the wood with H2O2 and let it dry for a year... Then when I set the tank up again last month, the fungus came back. I took the wood out the tank, treated it with H2O2 and scrubbed it until clean. After that I put it in a bucket with water so that it would soak and sink. Today I saw the fungus growing again.

What should I do?

#1 Ollie2, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
  2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The problem might be that you're touching it. Try again wearing gloves.

3. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    9:21 PM
  4. Ollie2

Ollie2 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for your replies.

I am willing to use gloves, but may I ask how is it that me touching the driftwood can trigger fungus?

Would gladly post pictures but it's too soon. The fungus has barely started to grow and will not show up in a picture. Like you, I thought it was BBA but it gets very long, comes off very easily and feels soft. When searching for it on the internet, I came across this picture View attachment 3444 . It is not the best quality but at least is something. The person that sold me the driftwood says it is called branchwood if the name helps.

5. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Some bacteria that are on our hands can Also develop in the water.

6. Ollie2

Ollie2 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks again Dutchy.

Should I boil it? For how long?

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I do not think it an issue, the pic looks like BBA to me.
    Do a water change or take the piece out if possible, wipe it, or add: Excel, H2O2, 5% vinegar etc.
    Rinse and return.

Shrimp and plecos also will clean wood nicely.

Better them than you.

8. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    That's what it looks like, but Oliie says it's easy to remove, and that it grew back in a bucket. BBA doesn't do that.....

Cooking is not a good option, because you destroy the wood's structure. What Tom says works .

#8 dutchy, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
  9. Ollie2

Ollie2 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for your replies.

It's very easy to remove and it's soft. Totally grey not greenish like BBA and gets way longer than any BBA I've seen before. It grew back after a couple of weeks while the wood was in a covered bucket full of water. No lights or nutrients besides what comes with the tap water. I sprayed H2O2 and as before, it almost dissolves. I have the feeling that the H2O2 also degrades the wood structure because after the several treatments this wood has gone through, there has been some discoloration. This time I cleaned the wood and attached moss after rinsing it well. Maybe it outcompetes whatever this fuzzy thing is... At this point, I really don't know what else to try. The person who sold me this wood told me that it may be some kind of bacteria...
    I think it is too soon to add any animals to the tank. It has been running for only 3-4 weeks and has had a very rough start with lots of plants dying due to inadequate light. So it maybe a very unhealthy environment for fish and shrimp still.

#9 Ollie2, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012