Pentair or ETH

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Guys, help me out. I would like to use an external tank heater, of some sort, for my (hopefully) 180 planted discus tank.
I've looked at a Pentair (Lifequard) double heater module, AF-92-12, and a ETH 300 in-line heater.
My tank temperature requirements are 83-86 degees F. The ETH has a 5/8" hose connection, not a hard plumbing (PVC) pipe, which I would like to use instead of the tubing. Is anyone familiar with this heater? Would the 300 W be sufficient for a tank this size? Is there any way of using this heater with PVC pipe connections?
The Pentair does not come with a 22" heater, the size they recommend to use. Anyone able to offer suggestions on the heater wattage to use, and manufacturer of the heater for the Pentair?
Thx in advance. :D :D

Walter, the old geezer

Aknickolai

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 11, 2008
I have no experience with either heaters, but I always use 4-5W of heater per gallon on my discus tanks. This may be a bit over the norm, but that way the heaters are not red lined all the time to keep the tank at the desired temperature. I am in the same boat right now with my 150 gallon tank, I'm leaning toward trying 2 of the Eth 300W heaters (one off each of my XP4s).

How are you going to filter the tank? Canister filters or an in-line set up like Ocean Clear? That would weigh in on the decision too.

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Pentair or ETH

I'm using 2 Ocean Clears, a 340 and 318, powered by Supreme separate pumps. Want to run the CO2 off one pump return, heater off the other. I selected the Pentair AF-92-19, dual module. Just wasn't comfortable with the reduced diameter of thee ETH. Thx for the reply, appreciate the input. :D

captain_bu

Prolific Poster
Nov 7, 2007
SF Bay Area
I have been using the 300 watt Hydor on my 50 gallon tank since xmas and have been really impressed with how well it works. My tank temps were not stable with the ebo-jager heater I used previously but now stay exactly at 74 degrees 24/7. I don't heat my house very often so ambient morning temps are in the 50 degree range. The Hydor ETH 300 is rated to raise the temp 18 degrees above the ambient room temp for a 48-66 gallon tank. Mine is easily outperforming the specs. The same model is rated to raise tank temps only 14 degrees if the tank is 53-80 gallons. What has been particularly interesting is that the heater doesn't seem to stay on very long or that often, it is a very efficient system.