pencilfish

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
747
113
Re: pencilfish

Ask around the LFS's they are available and well worth it.

I like them much more than those indian barbs and these are more suitable for all aquriums, the barbs are no good for med and smaller tanks, they need 75+ gallons to keep for a longer peroid of time.

These also have much more red than the barbs and love to hang out in and amongst the plants as well as pick on algae. They are also 3x cheaper and breedable.

Regards,
Tom Barr
 

cdawson

Junior Poster
Apr 9, 2005
3
0
1
Re: pencilfish

Cornhusker said:
:) anyone know where to get trifasicatus,(red ark) pencilfish? regards,cornhusker :) :)


I've been looking for them for awhile too, can't seem to find anywhere. Although with my last order through Below water Oliver lucanas said they were getting them in the very next week or two. I just checked the list and he definately has them. However, I'm not sure you can order only one species. If you can get a group of people together you'd be able to do it. I think it's a min. order of $120 for the states.


FYI they're $9.00 each american. and they're Nanostomus mortenthaleri not trifasicatus. trifasicatus is the three lined pencil fish.
 

srozell

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
110
0
16
Re: pencilfish

Why are people looking for these fish? Are they good for algae or something?

If so, I might suggest getting your local club together to order some.
 

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
183
0
16
Re: pencilfish

Some info, wondering if it's pertinent. Arizona Aquatic Gardens offers the Beckford's Pencil Fish (Nannostomus Beckfordi) for $1.29 each. Is this the same fish Tom's talking about? I would add, PLEASE verify the shipping costs BEFORE you order. It can be a very expensive surprise if you don't. :gw :D
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
747
113
Re: pencilfish

These fish are simply stunningly beautiful fish for a plant tank... that's why we are talking about them.

See the gallery.

Regards,
Tom Barr
 

srozell

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
110
0
16
Re: pencilfish

Tom Barr said:
These fish are simply stunningly beautiful fish for a plant tank... that's why we are talking about them.
Tom Barr

It seems the obvious completely escaped me! I like fish, but really, I just pimp the fish for their poop. I never thought to keep a fish because it looked good!
 

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005
192
0
16
Re: pencilfish

:) while we are watching our plants grow, it is very pleasant to watch a beautiful fish such as the red ark swimming in front of your eyes. ask any lfs owner and he will tell you the better the fish looks the better it sells,no matter what it's personality is.tom seems to have good taste in livestock he keeps.remember it is true that watching your fish lowers your blood pressure. isn't this all a fun thing! :) :) regards,cornhusker
 

srozell

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
110
0
16
Re: pencilfish

Wow, those are awesome fish.

Now the problem is finding them In Canada.
 

cdawson

Junior Poster
Apr 9, 2005
3
0
1
Re: pencilfish

srozell said:
Wow, those are awesome fish.

Now the problem is finding them In Canada.


Well that's just it, below water is located in montreal! Go to belowwater.com and email oliver lucanus, he might be able to accomodate you. If you're in the area you can even pickup from them I think without the troubles of having them shipped to you. If you can organize a group order with some local hobbyists you can get them as well. We did an order with 4 people and shipping was pretty cheap. I think it's 120 for up to 3 boxes or something. Which is more than enough for 4 people.
 

srozell

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
110
0
16
Re: pencilfish

cdawson said:
Well that's just it, below water is located in montreal! Go to belowwater.com and email oliver lucanus, he might be able to accomodate you. If you're in the area you can even pickup from them I think without the troubles of having them shipped to you. If you can organize a group order with some local hobbyists you can get them as well. We did an order with 4 people and shipping was pretty cheap. I think it's 120 for up to 3 boxes or something. Which is more than enough for 4 people.


Thank you, awesome info. The only problem with "going in on it" with somone is that I lose some of the bragging rights...

Decisions.. decisions...

Life is easier with plastic fish.