This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Penac- P/W What the heck is that?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by Sukrol, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Sukrol

Sukrol Member

Local Time:
    10:56 AM
    I just bought ADA AS for a new tank and found this 2 additives, anybody actually knows what they are? And what they do?

The description on the website couldn't be more abstract:

Penac-W

Penac W helps to improve the substrate environment. Sprinkle powder of Penac W at very bottom of the substrate layer. Recommendable for advanced planted aquarium hobbyists.

Penac-P

Penac P improves resisting power plant naturally have, and promote their healthy growth. It could be used for horticulture or agriculture purposes.

Thanks

2. Sukrol

Sukrol Member

Local Time:
  3. Justlikeapill

Justlikeapill New Member

Local Time:
    Penac-W is a repackaged version of something called "Plocher aqua stabilizer-fresh water." It is very finely powdered quarts. You can see it here::http://www.plocher.com/produktdetails.php?id=101

Penac-P is repackaged "plocher compost activator." You would think it would be a repackaged version of one of their several plant-specific products, but you would be wrong. It is calcium carbonate, and all of the other plant-specific products are powdered dolomite, magnesium, and one even has molassas! You can see it here: http://www.plocher.com/produktdetails.php?id=11

The plocher corporation makes everything from industrial farming supplements to harmonized cutting boardsr. If you look at Amano's aquarium, you can see two penac-kats attached to the pipes to harmonize the water as it passes through.

Personally, I use Penac-W a koi keeper would use bentonite clay. I think it helps purify the water in the sense that it's an aluminosilicate mineral. I also use Penac-P just to make sure there's a little extra calcium down in the substrate.

Amano buys into the whole "harmonized water" crystal woo-woo BS. That's why he sells tourmaline powder and such. They don't do anything, but they make you feel good.

First post BTW!

Edit: It looks like in some markets around the world it is sold as "Penergetic." Here you can find Peneretic-W and Penergetic-P as well as other farm stuff that's exactly the same http://penergeticsolutions.com/products/

#3 Justlikeapill, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  4. Sukrol

Sukrol Member

Local Time:
    Thank you!

5. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Woo-woo BS, indeed. :) But high-margin woo-woo.

That aside, the takeaway from the Amano method should be rich substrate + low-to-moderate light is one of the best ways to grow plants. Penac stuff is not worth it.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Mark Twain said it best: marketing is selling you something you do not need, with money you do not have.

You can call a product a different name and the consumer think it is a different thing.

This is old school stuff.

Amano blamed his marketing business people for those products. I would not do either.

But, it is not my business, they are free do whatever they like, but the polcher stuff is quackery.

7. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Sad to think how much money some people must be pouring away on this hobby through marketing bs.

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Oh, this hobby is rife with it, but it's small potatoes compared to healthcare, alternative medical, and diet scams. Then there's the outright fraud scams. How about Credit cards? Who reads the 5 pages of fine print? Why is it so long and why is it so "small"?

9. nicpapa

nicpapa Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Sorry for saying this but all those thing that sell Amano is waste.

All the years iam in this hobby i never use anything of amano stuff...

You can grow all of the plants in a cheap gravel , or sand with dry ferts and co2.

Its the same think as the light , companies sell special lamps to grow platns... :)

10. Sukrol

Sukrol Member

Local Time:
    This is true, what blows my mind is the super abstract description on the website and the fact that people will still buy it...

11. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:

Wow, thanks for explaining this. I always wondered what some of the ADA stuff was but now I know it doesn't do anything and isn't necessary. Calcium carbonate would help prevent the pH drop from the carbonates adsorbing onto the Aquasoil, but it's really cheap to buy as a fertilizer. 20 lbs of CaCO3 is cheaper than one bottle, 200 grams, of Penac-P. :p

#11 Solcielo lawrencia, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  12. Julia Adkins

Julia Adkins aquariumfertilizer.com
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Think we get rushed by marketing for various dubious and expensive fertilizers and substrates, you should check out what gets sold to those growing marijuana. Now there is a big and growing industry! The amount of money people spend on expensive amended and over fertilized dirt as well as all kinds of pH balancers and fertilizers to grow a weed is astounding!

2 people like this.
  13. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Weed growers get taken with those liquid ferts, the vendors hate selling the dry basic ferts because........they do not make any profit off that.So they do not even bother to carry it.