This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Peculiar problem with emersed HC

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by tirtha1979, Sep 11, 2012.

1. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    12:57 PM
    Hi Friends,

for some time I am growing HC emersed. In my Balcony, under diffused sunlight they are growing like weed in soil and sand mix. I kept the trays covered with a glass sheet.

2 weeks back I have moved some of them in my upcoming scape for dry start. The tank is having new Aquasoil and MH. The soil is moist and the tank is covered by glass. But after 2 weeks, I am seeing most of the HC melting away without any reason where as Staurogyne "Porto Velho" and hydrocotyle tripartita growing like crazy in the same setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it any kind of fungal attack? How to prevent that? Or I am doing something wrong?

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I've seen this occur when the substrate and plants are too wet. Humidity is generally the key. Misting too frequently can cause the plant to yellow or brown and then turn to mush.

3. tirtha1979

Local Time:
    Bulls eye.... got it. I was misting the plants 3-4 times a week in the tank. Will stop it immediately.

thanks a lot for your quick help.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I grow it outside very nicely in my bonsai, they get watered daily, but at full sun and 90-110F high temps and very low humidity.
    Gloss also.

I think many keep the plants much too wet also.

5. tirtha1979

Local Time:
    I think, humidity level is not the problem. But having too much water at the roots or on the substrate creating problem.

but how to control it/ How to stop the melting? If it is not any fungal problem, don't think any medicine will work.