peat moss under Amazonia II ???

PHalas

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2005
Planting an emersed 20L W /HC after it grows in I will add water Co2 & EI, the substrate I have is Amazonia II. Is there any need or advantages to putting Peat moss under the Amazonia II ???? .....Thanks

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
One Who Bears Fruit Or The Great Fruit

PHalas;45158 said:
Planting an emersed 20L W /HC after it grows in I will add water Co2 & EI, the substrate I have is Amazonia II. Is there any need or advantages to putting Peat moss under the Amazonia II ???? .....Thanks

To one who bears fruit the question of adding peat moss to substrate is a natural.;)

Warning: I have never used Amazonia II or any other commercial substrate!

My understanding of Amazonia II is that it reduces pH, peat moss will as well. http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=afa_product_info&cPath=12_21&products_id=266

I am one who likes peat moss so I tend to add it to almost all of my tanks. I do not believe it will do any harm and may help. In this case, I would boil the peat moss, save the water and use as ‘black water extract’. Then contemplate the great fruit.

Biollante

PHalas

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2005
Warning: I have never used Amazonia II or any other commercial substrate!

Neither have I ! Not certain how long peat moss maintains it's potential to lower PH & assist with CEC, but I have read Amazonia II does not maintain it's PH lowering qualities for too long but does indeed give plants a very good start. Taking that into consideration would the effects of the 'blackwater" be only temporary would adding the "blackwater soup" @ scheduled intervals be a good alternative to Peat moss under the substrate until I submerge the plants permenantly ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
To Peat Or Not to Peat

Hi,

I have found a light covering of peat under most substrates to be helpful; I cannot say I have any real idea as to how long the effectiveness. It does seem to continue to leach into the water for months.;)

I have actually found peat moss tea a rather effective treatment, additive for soft water environments and it is a lot cheaper than the “black water extracts.” :)

The other recommendation I would make if you want an enriched substrate is to add some Osmocote under the substrate for slow release nutrients. I am also partial to Tom Barr’s worm poop mixture.:gw

Biollante