This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

pearling?

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by iplayrock, Jun 21, 2013.

1. iplayrock

iplayrock Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:40 AM
    Hello everyone,
    This question will reveal just how much of a newbie to the world of planted aquariums I am but here goes. Can someone please tell me if plants are suppose to "pearl" if I am EI dosing once a week in a reduced amount,
    and using Excel ( 5-ml.) once a day, with 108 watts of T5 6500K 8 hours a day? This is on a standard 55 U.S gallon tank. I'm just curious if I need something more? Because none of my plants pearl at any time. Also, is 108 watts of T5 6500K considered Low, medium or high light? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.:confused:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Pearling is the thing everyone chases in the beginning. It isn't necessarily a sign of good growth. It is simply a sign of photosynthesis.

I would say you are in the medium range for a 55 gallon tank, but leaning towards high. This could be challenging without pressurized CO2.

Generally you won't see the type of pearling you will see in a high light tank in lower light and non CO2. You might get a small collection of bubbles under some leaves. At water change it is more likely you will see more rapid pearling.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get sidetracked by "pearling" ( I did and found myself asking the same type of question as a beginner), focus on observing the plants. Slow healthy growth is what you want without pressurized CO2, which may come with or without pearling.

3. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It isn't just the question but the lack of information that suggests you are a newb.
    It's hard to make anything out of your situation without guessing. :playful:

Light intensities are better described using PAR values.
    There are some who think PUR is more accurate but until they can convince Hoppy, I am not convinced PUR values are useful.

Watts per gallon is not a measure of light intensity. You can estimate your PAR values using the charts found at,
    Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

After you read the article, you will understand why Watts per gallon is an archaic term that went out with T12 fluorescent tubes. There are just too many different lighting systems available in todays market and they all very in the PAR they provide.

To answer the first part of your first question,
    Pearling occurs when your water's oxygen levels have reached there saturation point and photosynthesis is taking place. If your water's oxygen levels stay below their saturation point you're not going to see it, regardless of whether your plants are growing or not.

Read through this, Excel dosing, a middle ground for aquatic horticulture methods,
    http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/4823-Excel-dosing-a-middle-ground-for-aquatic-horticulture-methods
    And maybe this, Re: Non CO2 methods,
    http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/2817-Non-CO2-methods/page2
    And this, Tropica's CO2/light article ,
    http://www.tropica.com/en/tropica-abc/basic-knowledge/co2-and-light.aspx

4. iplayrock

iplayrock Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Pearling

Thanks Shawn & Tug. I had thought I gave enough info, Oh well, wrong again:confused:
    So much to learn it seems even with low-Tech set ups. Gonna take my time and read through the articles Tug gave me links to. One day I may learn enough to stop killing plants. Never give up!

5. siamon

siamon Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I think they are my favorite plant of all time. Got some from Tom, they did good for like 6 months, even sold a few. But then i moved things around and they all died. Would definitely give them another try if i still had a co2 tank.