Pearling stopped

[email protected]

Prolific Poster
Apr 24, 2005
Vermont
If the plants are not pearling is that a sign of a problem? My 37g tank has stopped pearling even though co2 levels are above 30 ppm. Everything is still growing like crazy. I don't see any other problems either. Algae is all under control except for a little hair algae. Curious....

Thanks, Bill

PS
I miss the pearls.

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States
Re: Pearling stopped

If the plants are not pearling is that a sign of a problem? My 37g tank has stopped pearling even though co2 levels are above 30 ppm. Everything is still growing like crazy. I don't see any other problems either. Algae is all under control except for a little hair algae. Curious....

Thanks, Bill

PS
I miss the pearls.

Since you write "my tank has stopped pearling" ... this is indicative that something has changed ... whatever has changed probably does require attention ...

However ... your question that asks "if plants are not pearling is that a sign of a problem?" The answer to that question is no ... pearling is a byproduct of your water being 100% saturated with O2 at the boundary layer of the plants leaves ... in a tank with good water circulation you may never see your plants "pearl" ... reduce the water circulation in the same tank and you may see your plants perl ...

And if you have a large enough tank ... it is always fun to change the water circulation flow so that one side of the tank has very little water circulation and observe the plants perl on that side of the tank and not on the other side ...

Sorry about hijacking your thread ... but I just wanted to jump in here on the pearling question ...

Thanks,
Greg

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Pearling stopped

Do a water change, add nutrients back and add a tad more CO2.

Anytime you see a lull in plant growth, respond.

Regards,
Tom Barr