Paying for premium forums......is the BarrReport any different?

gupp

Junior Poster
Mar 28, 2007
Arizona
Tom Barr;15544 said:
I also tried to add many references and really go in depth and bring something new to the discussion that has not been talked about in this hobby prior for each article. Not mere edited post.

Many magazine articles rehash the same old newbie topics over and over, that's good as that is what many readers are after in many cases. But what about those that already know they wanted plants and want to learn the horticulture behind it?

Yes it's nice to have different options for people depending on what their goals and interests are. Our own little niches. :) I'm really excited about reading the microbiology section and I noticed several Barr report articles that look interesting. I have some theories on the micro fauna populations in aquariums and how they affect the character of the tank. I'd love to have the knowledge and equipment to test them.

Now that I have all my kids in school I've been strongly thinking of taking some botany classes at ASU. I've looked at some of the articles and information on one of the professors there and would like to take some of her classes.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Well,
Going and taking classes is a good idea then.
Kids are in school for a good reason, same with the parents.
There's quite a bit out there on microbiology of aquatic FW systems.
HydroSoils, plant periphyton, water column etc.
There are plenty of papers on various topics there.

Regards,
Tom Barr

EMBX

Junior Poster
Apr 16, 2007
Louisville, KY USA
Hi Tom and all,

Just subscribed to the Barr Report, wait for confirmation info so I can login :)
I am sure that every penny of the money spent is worth it.
Keep up the good work!

Evert

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Much like I suggest for folks in local plant clubs, sell two three batches of weeds on line etc, that pays for the cost.

No real $, just plant dolllars.

Regards,
Tom Barr

ghostsword

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Hi Tom,

I just joined the site, and after a while reading some posts it made sense to invest on my education about aquatic plants.

I am member of a number of forums related to aquatic plants and their keep, and I have been keeping fish tanks since for over 20 years now. However keeping fish tanks, and taking care of plants, ensuring that they do not die after a couple of months is a separate thing.

This is where your site, and UKAPS, has helped me.

I am still learning, ensuring that what I read makes sense to me, as there is no point of following something that I do not understand, :) .

There may be a while before I post something on this forum, as I am trying to digest most of the information available here, but so far this is like having access to your own aquatic plants tutor, 24/7, an available encyclopaedia, but one that is organic and grows everyday.

the fee gets rid of the trolls fast
The fee, I believe, keeps the nonsense out.

Fifty odd quid for this sort of information store is nothing.. :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
ghostsword;46246 said:
Hi Tom,

I just joined the site, and after a while reading some posts it made sense to invest on my education about aquatic plants.

I am member of a number of forums related to aquatic plants and their keep, and I have been keeping fish tanks since for over 20 years now. However keeping fish tanks, and taking care of plants, ensuring that they do not die after a couple of months is a separate thing.

This is where your site, and UKAPS, has helped me.

I am still learning, ensuring that what I read makes sense to me, as there is no point of following something that I do not understand, :) .

There may be a while before I post something on this forum, as I am trying to digest most of the information available here, but so far this is like having access to your own aquatic plants tutor, 24/7, an available encyclopaedia, but one that is organic and grows everyday.

The fee, I believe, keeps the nonsense out.

Fifty odd quid for this sort of information store is nothing.. :)

Well, this hobby has more than its share of the "Church of the Cheap", folks who feel they'd rather lose a kidney than pay for something they feel they do not have to.
That same attitude also started folks using and sharing info on the Web, and led to DIY fertilizers and cheaper solutions to light and CO2.

So that is well founded and truthfully, I give away far more than I charge. Folks will save a lot more than they spend on equipment, trying to solve problems etc.
Still, there's a mental mind set that keeps folks from subscribing.

Much like seeking mental treatment has a similar stigma.
Folks seem willing to pay a lot for some thing in the hobby, but not others.

Intel is always worth more than many seem willing to pay.

Regards,
Tom Barr

ghostsword

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Folks will save a lot more than they spend on equipment, trying to solve problems etc.
Still, there's a mental mind set that keeps folks from subscribing.

It is a question of maths...

The cheaper plants cost around £3.50, with the most expensive going all the way to £7 and sometimes even more. By just using water, insufficient or too much light, and by starving the plants to death, in the space of year, I am sure that one spends more than the price of a lifetime subscription to this forum.

The substrate, water fertilizers, co2, test kits for almost everything under the sun, is able to eat into £100 in 6 months if one is not careful.

So +- £50 for something that can save me money, can allow me to have a true water garden, and while enjoying the hobby also learn, it is really a bargain.

Nothing on this world is free, we may just not see how it gets paid, that is all. :)