Passive Co2?

Pbenz

Feb 8, 2019
Florida panhandle
About a week ago I was at my LFS and saw a “disposable co2 can kit” for $10. Since I have been wanting to get into co2, but just didn’t want to spend $500+ on a pressurized co2 setup, I bought it. It uses the passive method to get co2 into the tank. It is on a 29g, so my thought is that it isnt diffusing (?) enough co2 into the tank. Anyone have success with this “passive co2” method?

FxFocus

Aug 17, 2018
United Kingdom
If your talking about what I think your talking about then the first three minutes of this video may be of interest, although I enjoyed watching the whole thing...

Pbenz

Feb 8, 2019
Florida panhandle
Yeah I just watched that video last night haha. Its not putting very much co2 into the tank though, so id probably be better off with a pressurized system.

FxFocus

Aug 17, 2018
United Kingdom
Well I guess if you've got dozens of tanks it may be more practical than a regulator on every tank, but for most of us pressurised is the way to go I think.

I do question your $500 price tag though. My setup consisting of regulator, inline diffuser and Fire Extinguisher was only around £180 from a reputable supplier here in the UK.

Pbenz

Feb 8, 2019
Florida panhandle
Well I guess if you've got dozens of tanks it may be more practical than a regulator on every tank, but for most of us pressurised is the way to go I think.

I do question your $500 price tag though. My setup consisting of regulator, inline diffuser and Fire Extinguisher was only around £180 from a reputable supplier here in the UK.
Why use a co2 fire extinguisher? Do you not have bottled co2 available? Off topic but whatever

FxFocus

Aug 17, 2018
United Kingdom
Why use a co2 fire extinguisher? Do you not have bottled co2 available? Off topic but whatever
I got the FE because I was having trouble sourcing a standard bottle locally here in the UK. It is my first and it's still going. Since then I've been recommended a local supplier that will refill (exchange) my FE when it's empty. I'll probably go down that route as the FE fits neatly into the cupboard space I have available. Lot's of fishkeepers use FE's (at least in the UK) so I suspect it's for the same reason I did.

FxFocus

Aug 17, 2018
United Kingdom
@Pbenz
This is my setup...
39091706_2069220963090369_2652907758646460416_n.jpg