This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Parrot's Feather and Glosso

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by csmith, May 21, 2010.

1. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    6:23 PM
    I picked up some Glosso today to replace my dwarf sag, which was getting a little boring as I've had it for quite some time and some myriophyllum aquaticum to fill in empty spots between other stems in my 20 gallon. Any tips/hints/warnings I need with either of these species? As I understand it glosso is relatively undemanding but I don't know much about the parrot's feather.

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:23 AM
    Hi,

Run do not walk away from milfoil :)

Just kidding!

It is pretty undemanding and attractive, although some varieties are considered a pest...

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/aquatics/watermilfoil.shtml

Ensure you fluff it regularly and ensure a nice gentle flow to help keep it clear of debris....

I have kept and liked it but is hard to find in FL!

They grow quickly and will also grow nicely as floating plants but will quickly get very large..

They may quickly overwhelm a 20gal if not pruned regularly.

Good luck!

#2 Gerryd, May 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
  3. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    Run?! Biollante told me to run from planted tanks before I got addicted and you see how that advice went over with me. :p I was just reading about this stuff being banned in FL, MA, AL, CT and WA. By get large quickly do you mean up or out? These stems are thick! I plan on using them as a backdrop on one side of my tank and it sounds like this will perform as I need.

Thanks Gerry, once I get this stuff going I'll find a way to smuggle some down there for you. ;)

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:23 AM
    Don't even joke about that....

I was only kidding about availability and would not want it anyway with it being invasive....

Up and out is the way it will go. Big all over....

5. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    Of course, I'm sure you can obtain it fairly easily or it wouldn't be listed the way it is. Just some misplaced humor. Like I said, though, thanks for the answers as always.