This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Parasite advice needed

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by ShadowMac, Sep 29, 2011.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:56 AM
    I have recently noticed a parasitic worm on one of my electric blue rams. Sorry I do not have pictures at the moment, but will take some this evening.

The worm is located in two locations. One is approximately 4mm in length, white and extends along the left pectoral fin. The second worm is located on the ventral left side below the gills and appears to be either attached to the surface or just below the surface. The worm is positioned circularly.

What am I looking at? What measures should I take to remove the parasite? A parasitic worm makes me think of flubendazole or metronidazole. I have flubendazole on hand. Does the entire tank need treatment, or just the fish? No other fish show signs of a similar illness.

I have been questioning the possibility of some intestinal worms in the other blue ram as he has a slightly sunken belly and I feed him well. I have been trying to observe his feces for signs, but haven't seen him "doing his business" lately. Would the treatment for the other known parasite also work for the possible intestinal worm?

Thank you for your help.

2. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
  3. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    sorry no picture yet. anchor worm was the closest thing I could find.

Potassium permanganate sounds like a good bet so far for ridding the tank of any larvae. Salt also may be a good option, or a combination of both. From what i've read manual removal of the worms is the direct intervention, followed by treatment of the tank to eliminate larvae.

I HATE dealing with illness. This was brought in by something I did not see. Yes i know the quarantine thing. The infected fish has been in there for quite a while. It came from somewhere else.

I have not noticed any behavioral issues with the fish that would indicate illness however. I will get a picture on here ASAP.

#3 ShadowMac, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
  4. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    a picture is worth a thousand....diagnosis?

I have a picture, hope this helps you help me:

[​IMG]

5. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
  6. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think that is the closest thing I have seen to what it is. That is good news. I have set up a hospital tank for now. I will try a bit of a salt tonic to help with the wound and try to avoid secondary infections. The fish is behaving normally.

We will wait and see now.

Thank you for your help nipat.