This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Par meter with and without water?

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by splash, May 12, 2011.

1. splash

splash Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:50 PM
    I got the Par meter and was wondering if there would be any significant difference if I would measure without water?
    I am finishing up the prototype of the lamp using CREE XM-Ls, while the tank will not be ready for some time. Any advice? Tank is 24x24x48"

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think the values out of water would be meaningless unless you are growing emersed...

There is a big difference in values in and out of water...

3. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Let me add that the difference in measurements with or without water may look negligible when filling a tank with new water for the first time, more so for experimental measurements when a bare bottom tank is used.

In my planted tanks I get noticeable difference in measurements taken just before a huge water change and once I complete the water change, so assuming one reading represents the actual amount of PPF is, at least in my tanks, an error since it's just a measure at that moment. The log function works well to estimate an average value here.

I use the leveling plate every time I take measurements; sometimes the air bubble is hard to center.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo