This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Pantanal not propagating

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by geektom, Nov 14, 2017.

1. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:55 PM
    Hey all- I have had the same 5 stems of L. pantanal growing in my tank for a couple of months now.

They develop nice color, and grow quickly to the top of my tank. I trim the tops and replant, but the bottoms never develop side shoots. The tops quickly grow to the surface- I trim and repeat.

I now have a pretty dense clump of pantanal bottoms, lol. They don’t seem to be rotting or dying- but they don’t create any new shoots, either.

Any tips on how I can create more pantanal tops?

#1 geektom, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  2. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:55 PM
    Maybe try letting a new stem get established, then try pinching the top growing section of the stem every night for a week and see what happens. From a plant hormone perspective isn't all the auxin at the top and pinching the top should encourage side growth? It's been a while since biology....

geektom likes this.
  3. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    By “pinching” do you mean the same as trimming it? But do it at the very top, instead of what I usually do, which is about 6”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes, exactly. Maybe an 1/4 to an 1/8th of an inch, just to nab the newest growing parts, not really to reduce its height. You're just forcing it to stay at a constant height throughout the week. Pinch enough to stop its upward growth. Just on one stem, maybe try it for a couple of weeks and see what the plant does.

XOodwad.jpg

5. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Ok- that makes me nervous- I don’t want to damage one of the few stems I have- but I will give it a try.

6. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Heres an article about what I was getting at. Maybe it makes you less nervous.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090922095705.htm

"Professor Leyser, of the University of York’s Department of Biology, said: “It is well known that the main growing shoot of a plant can inhibit the growth of the shoots below – that’s why we prune to encourage growth of branches. What we are interested in is exactly how the main shoot can exert this effect"

Or just wait and see what others suggest, I'm sure someone can give you a definitive answer.

7. ForTheHalibut

ForTheHalibut Member

Local Time:
    I agree with Kyalgae's advice for the tops. As for the bottoms, I do not think you should hold out much hope for any progress. The narrow leaf ludwigia inclinata cultivars pantanal and cuba seem to be very bad at backbudding. Unlike most other stem plants, you cannot rely on the bottom stems to put out new branches. Instead, you must wait for dormant lower buds to make themselves visible and then cut right above them. I'm not very knowledgable in this kind of thing, so perhaps someone can correct me, but I believe for some plants, there is a finite quantity of dormant buds - if no branching has occurred so far, it will probably be impossible for branching to occur ever. The bare stems continue to survive because they can feed off the energy from the root system as well as the minor photosynthetic capabilities of the stem itself, but they might completely lack the ability to create new growth.

geektom likes this.
  8. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    3:55 PM
    Needs more lighting for those sideshoots to get started from bottoms.

Is your pantanal reaching? is it stretching while growing? That could be a co2 issue

morph, perhaps ammonia

reds- i cannot...sorry cannot help you there

geektom likes this.
  9. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    No, it stays pretty compact and grows so fast- just no side shoots.

7facfaf8ae55e70a8b3d6253344fe182.jpg

Mike k likes this.