panda cory

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I seem to be the only one posting new threads to this Fish forum...

Some how or another, a little panda cory fry survived in my main tank -- cute little thing at 3/8". I was thinking to put him/her in a 20G tank I have with Seachem Black Flourite (SBF) as a substrate. I was quite surprised at how sharp the SBF is and am wondering if it would be a bad idea to put the panda in there because of possible damage to its barbs. Any comments? Anybody else keeping pandas with SBF? I haven't worked with original Flourite in a while, but it did not seem near as sharp as this black version.

Thank you in advance.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Ted,

Congrats on all your recent breeding success! No matter planned or not :)

I keep about 24-30 asst corys with my black flourite substrate.

All seem okay and no damage to their barbels. Works well too as the food, either live or prepared, doesn't get into/under the gravel too quickly, so they can get it easily.

I have seem plenty of them dig for blackworms and other goodies, and they are pretty vigorous at it, and no resultant problems.

I have about a dozen Pandas in the quarantine tank now, and will be adding them to the display tank in about 2-3 weeks.

Cories are really nice in a big school, esp when feeding. They are all pretty active and don't like to be alone, even when resting. Look under any wood, rock, plant, and there are always several together.....

Great fish!

Good luck with them.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks, Gerry ... that is good news.

I hate to think how many eggs have been lost in my big tank. I always got suspicious when I woke up in the mornings and my cardinals and pencil fish had bulging stomachs.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Fish eggs are a great source of food as far as other fish are concerned.

You have to assume this is happening.

Why do I have only 1 juvie bosemani in a large well planted tank, when I have had breeding adults in the tank for over 1 year?

You can watch other fish follow the breeders around. When you see them dash in, it is to consume the eggs.........