This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Paintball CO2

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by nerbaneth, Oct 14, 2008.

1. nerbaneth

nerbaneth Guest

Local Time:
    12:55 AM
    Hi!,

So I am a few steps away from having a tank that I am very pleased with. I only have 3 more things to make it match what my 'goals' are.

I need a little more light: the light is already in the mail!
    I need to fix my substrate: I am in the process

and the last thing I want to do is pressurized CO2 - but I am on a college student budget!

The most I could spend would be $100 and that would only cover the tank! I have been reading about some systems that use paint ball tanks (which I could buy off my friend for $20!) and I could get a regulator for paintball tanks at the local fish store that is closing down (20% off everything in the store)

I think I could afford this method, but would it be sufficient(last a good while before refill.. a month or two) for a 90 gal?

Also, If I decided down the road to get a 5# or 10# CO2 tank.. would it fit on the paintball regulator? - or could I at least adapt it?

The other option is to wait until Christmas or summer when I have a job and buy a decent setup like all you guys have.

Thanks!,
    Nerb

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:55 AM
    You can also trade your time for $$, by carefully watching forum "for sale" ads and jumping quickly when you see a good deal on a CO2 system. I think you can do it for $100 if you work at it. Regulators and needle valves don't wear out during the amount of time and cycling we use them for. A used setup should work fine.

3. nerbaneth

nerbaneth Guest

Local Time:
    I almost bought a setup off craigslist for $100 with a ph controller and an ada diffuser, bubble counter, and co2 drop checker.. I emailed the guy like 10 minutes after he posted it and it was gone :)

4. Panda

Panda Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I used a paintball style CO2 system on my 90 g tank. It works but you will spend a lot of money refilling the tank about every 3 weeks. I think you should wait for a good price on a normal system. The regulator for the paintball system will not fit a 5,10 or 20 lb tank of CO2.
    Mine ended up on a 10g tank and bought another system...in the long run I ended paying a lot of money...:mad:

5. nerbaneth

nerbaneth Guest

Local Time:
    Thanks panda.. I think that is exactly what I needed to know.
    What size was your paintball tank and how much did it cost to refill?

Thanks,
    Nerb

6. beastboi

beastboi Junior Poster

Local Time:
    with your budget i would diy co2 until you save up enough money to get a system, the paintball co2 isn't worth it for a 90gal. from what I’ve experience the paintball regulator will not fit a regular cylinder. gl :)

7. Panda

Panda Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    the bottle is 20 oz and cost around $5 to refill and the tanks cost around 25. So, for a 90 g tank you will be refilling around every 3 weeks. I also bought another 20 oz tank to reduce the trips to the gotcha shop.
    trust me, you will get tired of refilling so often!!
    in the long run a regular set up is a better choice for bigger aquariums.

8. =ACID RAIN=

=ACID RAIN= Junior Poster

Local Time:
    For $100 I bought a 10lb tank with regulator, a new valve for the regulator and a smaller barb for standard airline. I just used my previously owned airline valve to keep backpressure on the line and regulate the bubble count. No need for a needle valve unless you want exact control.

I set the regulator to ~5lbs PSI and it stays there. The CO2 comes out of an airstone and goes into my canister filter intake where it dissolves in the circulating water. I use an air pump with another airstone elsewhere in the tank to balance CO2/O2 levels for fish and plants. Takes a little fiddling, but it's becoming constant now. I'm only just getting it really balanced after having the tank going for 2 months. I just upgraded my lights today as well, so I expect a big explosion of plant growth soon :)

You will need to spend 20 to get it filled or swapped, but only swap with bottles that won't be duds in a year, because those bottles last quite a while ;)

9. SpeedEuphoria

SpeedEuphoria Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Check you local phone book, look up fire extinguisher in the yellow pages. My local welding gas places wanted $110 for a full 5# tank and $130 for a full 10# tank. This fire extinguisher place wanted $53 out the door for full tanks between 10-15 lbs, so I obviously got the 15# full for $53.

I got a Victor regulator off ebay for $50 and thats most of what you need.

Personally if I was to use paintball CO2, I would buy a normal regulator and one of the adapters to use it, then if you want to buy a real CO2 tank in the future you dont have to rebuy the regulator. I think at that local place I could have gotten a 2.5lb CO2 tank for the price of a 20OZ paintball tank