Ozone for chrystal clear water

Tedca

Nov 25, 2017
Sweden
Apologies if this is not the right place to post.
I have recently rebuilt my reeftank to a planted community tank. In saltwater i have always used ozone in a reactor to get chrystal clear water. Will ozone have any negative impact on co2?
Want to use it at a small dose just to get crystal clear water not very high orp.

hn5624

Aug 4, 2017
North carolina, USA
I only managed to find information of ozone on terrestrial plants, which doesn't seem to really do any favors. I'm not sure if this information also applies to aquatic plants tho.

"Ozone enters the plant’s leaves through its gas exchange pores (stomata), just as other atmospheric gases do in normal gas exchange. It dissolves in the water within the plant and reacts with other chemicals, causing a variety of problems. Plant physiologists are still trying to understand the specific pathways and locations of ozone’s effects within plant cells. Physiologists know that some cell membranes become leaky, possibly because of ozone’s ability to interact with lipid (fatty) components and/or membrane proteins. Photosynthesis slows, resulting in slower plant growth."

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/OzoneWeBreathe/ozone_we_breathe3.php

I'm assuming that since water can only hold so much gas you would be better off just trying to saturate the water with more CO2 rather than O3, none of this will matter if your adding an unmeasurable amount of O3 tho.

Also if ozone works similarly to a UV sterilizer, killing microbes in the water to prevent stuff like green water and bacteria blooms, it shouldn't really be needed since green water and bacteria blooms will never happen after your tank establishes. If you haven't already tried Seachem Purigen, give that a shot, many people have great testimonials of it turning their water crystal clear, you could probably just sell your ozone generator and buy 20 years worth of Purigen with it.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You can use it to adjust the redox to say 400 mV.
Most use the twinstar of the chinese knock offs which are safer and easier to use.

I'd sell it like suggested above. Planted tanks correctly set up and cared for are crystal clear,

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
Purigen is an organic scavenging resin.
It will collect dissolved organics from the water column, everything that would normally degrade and enter the nitrogen cycle.

Tedca

Nov 25, 2017
Sweden
Thanks, I will wait some time and if im not satisfyed with the clearness in the water I will give purigen a try.