This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Oyster Grit for Ca and Mg Buffering.

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jarrod0987, Oct 30, 2015.

1. jarrod0987

jarrod0987 Subscriber

Local Time:
    12:17 AM
    In the past I had used RODI water and soaked some well rinsed Oyster grit in it for a few days to see how much GH and KH it provided. Some of us use crushed coral or Oyster Grit to buffer GH and KH. The results I got were 7 dkh for GH (125 ppm). I got 5.5 dkh for KH or Carbonate Hardness (98.2 ppm).

Later, I decided to buy a more expensive LaMotte test kit to find out how much Ca and Mg. After 5 days of soaking some well rinsed oyster grit in RODI the results were GH (LaMotte calls it Total Hardness) 37 ppm and Calcium was 24 ppm. This would make Magnesium 13 ppm.

2. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Interesting result... How much oyster grit in how much water?

#2 Christophe, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
  3. jarrod0987

jarrod0987 Subscriber

Local Time:
    Small hand full in a jar of water. In past experiments I tried to determine of you can set the level by changing the amount of CC to water ratio. You eventually buffer up to the same level. It just takes longer with less CC or oyster grit. I want a stable system so I put enough that it buffers faster but there is still aa time delay. 2 weeks seems to be the fastest I can get it to stabilize no matter how much I add..