This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Oxygen & plants: Low water movement vs High movement

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by brrrpr, Jun 9, 2016.

1. brrrpr

brrrpr Subscriber

Local Time:
    10:53 PM
    Question: does a high oxygenated system has advantages with a heavily planted aquarium ?

I have many planted tanks and they are all different, I've been having all sort of problems related to algae, including Volvox, Cyano, thread green algae and other types (that I will not describe here).

I was wondering if a high movement of the water increasing the Oxygen of the system might bring some advantages. About this issue I red all kind of different and contrasting theories but I've noticed that the tanks where I increased the water movement my plants benefited the water movement opposite to the tanks where the movement was very low.

Does a high oxygenated water will "oxydate" and destroy faster the micro and macro nutrients that I add with the fertilization ?

Algae fighting devices like:

1) SOCHTING OXYGENATOR

2) TWINSTAR SYSTEM

3) UV light (against Volvox)

do they have any negative effects on the fertilization of the water and at he end on the overall plant eco-system ?

2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Yes, two advantages.

1. Faster nitrogen cycling.

2. Higher oxygen allows higher CO2 tolerance in fish, allowing you to turn up CO2 levels.

I've noticed no negative effects whatsoever from having good oxygen levels.

Algae is mostly a factor of maintenance, husbandry etc.

3. brrrpr

brrrpr Subscriber

Local Time:
    I have to say that after one entire year of experience with algae related problems I have decided to increase the movement with a "stream pump" (I don't know the exact word) and it looks that the water condition has much improved since. But the theories against the strong water movement say that in nature most plants grow and prefer calm water, they are objecting that a lot of CO2 is expelled from the system (where we are adding it) and the oxygen saturation will oxidize most compounds we add for fertilization spoiling them and making them no more available for the plants.