Overflow modifications: making a bean animal style using only 2 drain pipes

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
fablau;127246 said:
Got it, thank you Gerry,

One question about your overflow: why do you let trickle water into the emergency pipe? What's the benefit of that? I have a similar setup in my overflow, but I leave the water line at about 1 inch below the emergency line intake, so that it is completely silent. Zero noise.

Hi Fab,

When the full siphon ball valve is closed, this limits the intake flow somewhat. I let the trickle down the emergency drain to make up for it is all.

- - - Updated - - -

fablau;127246 said:
Got it, thank you Gerry,

One question about your overflow: why do you let trickle water into the emergency pipe? What's the benefit of that? I have a similar setup in my overflow, but I leave the water line at about 1 inch below the emergency line intake, so that it is completely silent. Zero noise.

Hi Fab,

When the full siphon ball valve is closed, this limits the intake flow somewhat. I let the trickle down the emergency drain to make up for it is all.

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
Gerryd;127231 said:
Antbug,

That is a nice professional job....can you share more details on tools used and how difficult it was?

Also, what r u using to increase the width of the tank to allow the cpr height adjustments to work?

My 57 and 75 gal tanks the glass is too thin to use the adjustment screws and the water level is lower than I like.

Thanks

I think Antbug has done the same thing I did and glued up a saddle out of 1/2 inch plexiglass, his is just longer.

qu2utydy.jpg

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Thanks! Next question: how do you folks build the nice Overflow covers I see? How do they stay on with the slant on the overflow box?

I will see if I can build one of these 'saddles' for each of my tanks...

Appreciate the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Next question: how do you folks build the nice Overflow covers I see? How do they stay on with the slant on the overflow box?

I will see if I can build one of these 'saddles' for each of my tanks...

Appreciate the info.

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
The cover comes from CPR. There is a rib along the bottom that sits inside the overflow box and keeps it from sliding off.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Thanks. I had figured on the 'rib' method but did not know that CPR supplied them.

Looks like I will be in for 3 of them..

Thanks again for the quick info....

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I had figured on the 'rib' method but did not know that CPR supplied them.

Looks like I will be in for 3 of them..

Thanks again for the quick info....

antbug

Guru Class Expert
Apr 4, 2011
Gerryd;127231 said:
Antbug,

That is a nice professional job....can you share more details on tools used and how difficult it was?

Also, what r u using to increase the width of the tank to allow the cpr height adjustments to work?

My 57 and 75 gal tanks the glass is too thin to use the adjustment screws and the water level is lower than I like.

Thanks

Thanks Gerry. It was quite simple to modify this overflow, but if I had to do it again, I would have purchased the dual CPR overflow from the start. If you do have a single like mine there are a few ways to go about it. I wanted a clean look with two parallel drain going down. I did not have enough room for another bulkhead next to the one that was there so I had to modify it. I measured and I had room if I plugged the center one and drilled two on the side if it. Now if you didn't care for that extra clean look, you could just drill one on the side and run an elbow and it would make things a little more simple. So for tools just a hacksaw and a hole saw for cutting the acrylic and glue.

As far as the spacer. It's just 3 pieces of acrylic shaped into a U. Obviously you need to measure the thickness of your tank and the inside width of the overflow and build according. It works quite well and as you can see, I can now use the risers.

antbug

Guru Class Expert
Apr 4, 2011
ltb420;127255 said:
I think Antbug has done the same thing I did and glued up a saddle out of 1/2 inch plexiglass, his is just longer.

qu2utydy.jpg

Great minds think alike!

Yes, I little longer and I went thinner on the top piece. Not sure why I did that, it could have been what scraps were available at the acrylic shop haha.

antbug

Guru Class Expert
Apr 4, 2011
Tom Barr;127232 said:
Note, you have to add another hole to the sump lid and bulk head if you do not have an extra when modifying the prefilter also going from 1 drain pipe to 2.

Not 100% true. I ran my emergency drain pipe to the open side of my wet/dry. I didn't see the need to drill another hole when it wasn't completely necessary. In an emergency, my water will go down the emergency drain and skip the "dry" part of my wet/dry filter. Not a big deal in my book unless I'm totally missing something here.

denske

May 7, 2013
philadelphia
antbug;127280 said:
Not 100% true. I ran my emergency drain pipe to the open side of my wet/dry. I didn't see the need to drill another hole when it wasn't completely necessary. In an emergency, my water will go down the emergency drain and skip the "dry" part of my wet/dry filter. Not a big deal in my book unless I'm totally missing something here.

I did the same thing, i figured when the emergency drain was not in use, it would just be a vent for co2 to escape.

- - - Updated - - -

antbug;127280 said:

I did the same thing, i figured when the emergency drain was not in use, it would just be a vent for co2 to escape.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
antbug;127280 said:

Mummm, good point.
But you could if you wanted.

Denske suggest venting of CO2, that was my only thing.

ak24

Junior Poster
Dec 28, 2014
Poland
Gerryd said:

Hej, very nice job! Like to see creative people, more than me. Help me understand one thing, somethig stay on the overflow, is this air pump ? If yes what for ? Another item looks like protein skimmer...

thinbear

Mar 14, 2013
Bay Area
Question: for a small overflow box with no room to drill extra hole at the bottom, this should work, right? The one I'm using is eshopps PF-Nano

overflow-box.jpg

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It would help considerably if you add another adjustable 90 elbow on the inside or lower. This way you run the lower postion at 100% or close, and then the emergency or throttle is the main factory overflow pipe. I'd use a 1/2 bulkhead, not 3/4"

Furry_Pleco777

Dec 13, 2021
Texas
This is a late response, but the topic is rather timely to me, as I am in the process of setting up an un-drilled tank with a sump. Funny, it is exactly what I was wondering, because it appears that there is no such thing as a hang-on-side BeanAnimal design that I have seen (although theoretically it should work just the same).