output placement

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
What are the trade offs between putting the output of my return line near the substrate level vs near the water surface?

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
Maybe where can you place this to get the best flow possible. This will change as the tank grows in, so a directional output is advantageous. Just a thought.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
A mix of both IMO is good.

I know Jeremy asked this the other day, and Tom I thought agreed that coming UP from the substrate was ideal. Do a search and read that thread........

For me, I have 6 loc-line outlets, and 2 koralias, pointing in all directions.

I seem to have good growth and very little algae in all areas of the tank, and light is much less in ends, due to MH, so I think the flow helps a lot in these more remote areas.

I can see good movement of leaves on any plants.

However, coming from the bottom, would give the max time for ascension and mixing on the way up. Plus, if mist exists, will give more time to get caught in the leaves...........

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
The advantage of having the filter outlet near the top is that you can aim it so it disturbs the surface a little, just enough to get some rippling of the water. That helps keep the water oxygenated, and helps get rid of some CO2 at night when you have the CO2 off. A disadvantage of that is that you then need another source of water circulation near the bottom of the tank, but a second source isn't a bad idea anyway.

If you saw the ripple in the water that Tom gets on his biggest tank I think you would be amazed! I was.

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
any way to get a pic of what you are talking about vaughn? Also what if i placed both spray bars at the bottom and use the koralia 1 i have in the middle for my surface displacement, would that be ideal?

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
ccLansman;30406 said:
any way to get a pic of what you are talking about vaughn? Also what if i placed both spray bars at the bottom and use the koralia 1 i have in the middle for my surface displacement, would that be ideal?

I don't have pic of Tom's big tank, but I'm sure he has some. Placing the spray bars at the bottom is good because it gets the CO2, assuming you use an in line external reactor, down where the plants need it. And a Koralia type pump certainly provides enough circulation at the top of the tank to keep a ripple going in the water.

I wouldn't use spray bars, though. I would use a more concentrated flow nozzle, like Aquarium Plumbing: Directional U-Tube, to get a good water flow going at the bottom of the tank.

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
looking at its construction and the U shape for hanging it over the back of the tank. I guess i would have to invert it and stick a couple of clamps to get it mounted right. thanks, ill check with my LFS and see if they have any in stock.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
That same type of outlet fitting is available other places so you can mount it anywhere you like.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Trade off is the rotten tube coming up or outside the tank and in like a typical canistrer, or through the bottom (and not much surface flow unless you can angel it well, and even then, it's sort of tough).

So both seem like a good trade off.

You can also do a wet/dry over flow and then fire the water downward, this adds enough surface movement/air exchange, canister only typically will not and the O2 and CO2 can get out of whack and harm fish.

It's easy to add a bit more CO2 for off gassing. Not having enough O2 for the fish is the worst case.

So error on losing CO2, having higher O2.

Regards,
Tom Barr

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
Tom Barr;30420 said:
Trade off is the rotten tube coming up or outside the tank and in like a typical canistrer, or through the bottom (and not much surface flow unless you can angel it well, and even then, it's sort of tough).

Could you rephrase that i dont really follow.

As far as o2 i have a air pump that comes on when lights go off so im not that worried about high co2 at night. Just trying to get a fix on the best method of output from my two filters back into the tank.