Oursaunougat 240L tank (from 1 year old to future)

Oursaunougat

Nov 11, 2017
france
Hi
I start this journal to have advice and help for going on better of all
This tank is one year old runing, so i beguin on today with his issue and his good things.

so a this moment:

watter parameter:
KH= 3
GH= 5
PH= 7 on morning and with co2 is about 6.5 (i try to make it lower today with more B/S but i am already more than 7 b/s with a typhun jbl reactor (passif) you can see it on picture.

i try to drive the bio mass to slowly goes to dutch style or sort of it, but i come from far away with bba and cyano issues and a hardscape before.

filter:

cannister enheim pro4+ 250 (i was on two before with more more flow but i try less flow to experiment, and this filter is easy to clean so i do it better)

Temp: about 23 or 24 C°

Co2 i have told before, but i am on a 1 kg bottle for now (trashable bottle)

For fertilizer i try the EI philosophie but i am alway in regulation to find the good way

so macro test:

no3= 20 mg/l
po4=0.6mg/l so i up to 1.5 mg/l
K= 1 tea spoon for weak i try

micro: i finish slowly the sachem flourish
and add a little of Fe with some easylife Fe

but i have also trace in powder
and macro also.

light:

i have a led light name "nemolight" 1 meter lenght (i supose about 7000 lumens)
and 2 diy high led spot (chips on board) witch is about 5000 to 6000 lumens each (6500k)
this make plant bubble on the first hour of lighting
photo period on 9 hours first nemolight for an hour then all then nemolight only again from 1 hour to the end.

here some pics for morning ( i have already done some vaslisneria pull out since this picture, cause it is to invasive i do not want more it)

The point on fish: this is the hard point cause i do have 3 goldfish , 8 black neon, and 4 corry

i am not good to remember names of plant but you will certainly recognize them.

well pictures now:

_DSC2481.jpg

_DSC2489.jpg

_DSC2492.jpg

_DSC2493.jpg

Last edited:

Mike k

Jul 23, 2017
Oklahoma
Lots of pearling for sure! It does look like a lot of co2 going through that reactor. What size of bubble enters the tank?

Those goldfish are pretty cool. I am surprised they don’t treat it like a salad bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oursaunougat

Nov 11, 2017
france
Lots of pearling for sure! It does look like a lot of co2 going through that reactor. What size of bubble enters the tank?

Those goldfish are pretty cool. I am surprised they don’t treat it like a salad bar?

You want to know the size of bubble CO2 intering in reactor ?
If yes so It is the size more or less of the classic tube we use for , not pressured CO2 when get out so bubble come out larger and become small at the top of reactor

For goldfish , i think the secret is to good feed them , then they do not look for eating salade.

Reactions: Mike k

Oursaunougat

Nov 11, 2017
france
I’ve never seen a reactor like that. Based on pearling seems to work well

The system is to drive bubble CO2 along around the reactor and full submersed by water , so bubble are allway in contact with water in the reactor and dissolve by going up
I think i will buy another extension to make more road to bubble , on that way at the top they are not existing yet as bubble but all dissolved in water.

Oursaunougat

Nov 11, 2017
france
Some close up vid to see pearling end day and fish.
I will soon try another type of reactor to see if i can do better from same quantity of CO2 and then maybe reduce to save time on my bottle.

Oursaunougat

Nov 11, 2017
france
Today i come back after work and test ph = 5
I think i will do a test on kh also before doing something, but seem CO2 work fine for now.
Another point i have done yesterday is to add water , 3cm less in all high size tank ,and this in 4 days, i think plant take lot of more water than before

Oursaunougat

Nov 11, 2017
france
Test kh done : 3
So i really have a 2 ph drop
I have verified It by shaking the test to degass It and It come back to ph=7

Do i get back to a little less drop ?
No fish up all seem calm and ok.

slipfinger

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Jul 23, 2016
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I am going to say with much certainly that your test is wrong.

I personally don't use the KH/pH chart because its full of crap, but lets say we use it for this example, your results (KH=3 pH=5) would indicate you're somewhere in the neighbourhood of 900ppm Co2. Not possible!

If you really want to dial in your pH, try and get your hands on a decent pH pen or pH monitor. Either of these tools will give you a much more accurate measure, not perfect but more accurate than any test strip or drops.

Last edited:

Oursaunougat

Nov 11, 2017
france
Ok i don t use chart also
But what you mean is that a pen test ph will give me another value than the drop test ? Or just a accurate value
Exemple: drop give me 5 and pen give me 5.21 ?
Or Drop give me 5 and pen give 6 or more?

slipfinger

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Jul 23, 2016
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Ok i don t use chart also
But what you mean is that a pen test ph will give me another value than the drop test ? Or just a accurate value
Exemple: drop give me 5 and pen give me 5.21 ?
Or Drop give me 5 and pen give 6 or more?

Yes. The pen if you purchase a decent one will be much more accurate. I searched the drop test you are using, it would take a trained eye to be able to tell the colour difference between pH 6 and 5. I pH pen or monitor will take all the guess work out of.

I'm not saying you are not adding enough Co2, I'm just saying you are not adding the amount you think your adding.

Using a pH pen well help you dial in your Co2 better than any test strip or drop. Over time you will depend less on test strips, drops and even pH pens and 'listen' to what your plants and your tank in general are telling you.

Oursaunougat

Nov 11, 2017
france
ok i will look at that , any link you are sure that is a good option to buy (not to high price if possible)

well today i trim some plant to let place to other on background
i never know if i trim well or not but with time i will get it better i suppose
some pictures:
(little cloudy cause i have put some filter media)

the all tank, a close up on the last goldfish who is growing
then right side and left side

_DSC2553 light.jpg

_DSC2533light.jpg

_DSC2551light.jpg

_DSC2552 light.jpg

Oursaunougat

Nov 11, 2017
france
End week become and 60% WC with.
Vaccum ground and take major thick of front gravel to back place ( goldfish terraform the ground all the Time)

Osmosed water for making tank full again, take about 6 or 8 hours.

Then i ll see what i have to do on plantes.

image.jpg