• Yes, but not yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JamesC

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Kent, UK
I voted yes, but not yet. What do we want from a new forum? There are already plenty of planted forums without having a new one. I think at the mo we just need to have a forum discussing the setup of UKAPS until the society is strong enough to support it's own forum with different sections.

Just my 2p worth
James

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
JamesC;17608 said:
I voted yes, but not yet. What do we want from a new forum? There are already plenty of planted forums without having a new one. I think at the mo we just need to have a forum discussing the setup of UKAPS until the society is strong enough to support it's own forum with different sections.

Just my 2p worth
James

There are other reasons for having our own forum. Mainly that its the easiest way of a) knowing who are members are and b) being able to contact everyone all at once if we need to.

We actually already do have a forum setup for the admin team to discuss whats going on, and to discuss ideas put here.

Anyway, its interesting seeing what you all think :)

eds

Junior Poster
Apr 22, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I voted Yes because I think it may give a greater sense of identity to UKAPS. A separate forum attached to the web site may well be a key idea in improving this as it will also 'flesh out' the UKAPS web site so hopefully keeping people interested when they go there to have a look.

C J Castle

Junior Poster
Mar 17, 2007
Uk...
I voted Yes because I think it may give a greater sense of identity to UKAPS. A separate forum attached to the web site may well be a key idea in improving this as it will also 'flesh out' the UKAPS web site so hopefully keeping people interested when they go there to have a look.

Ditto... I think a seperate UKAPS forum would make the society more well known and, as Eds said, create a greater sense of identity to UKAPS... Though, as the society is still small (in members), I think a seperate forum at this point could prove to be a waste of time...

Joetee

Prolific Poster
Mar 26, 2006
Lexington, KY
New Forum ????

I've looked at many forums but seem to gravitate to this one and The Planted Tank as my main forums because of the experience here.

What I think is more important is having a good local club. A seporate area would be good for info on local purchases and events. But having a good international forum would be a real good place to learn idea's and share experiences thats universal not just local.

How to rate a good forum is by looking at the number of members that share info and idea's.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe

Aeropars

Junior Poster
Apr 6, 2007
Yes... without a doubt and the sooner the better.

THe longer its left then th emore information needs to be migrated to the new board. I think its mature enough now to actually move to our own forum. Its a sense of identity. Passers by will see us as a bolt on to tom barrs site and not a seperate entity.

themuleous

Junior Poster
Aug 18, 2006
Oxford
First of, has this forum actually been started? I cant seem to find a link to it? And the UKASP website just takes me back here?

Also, its prob a bit to late, but do we really need another forum? The AE doesn't get all that much traffic, as most people tend to stay at the established places like TFF and APC and I had it hard enough keeping up with those let alone having another one. The really exciting thing about UKAPS for me was not that we could discuss things as in every other forum that already exiists but that it gives us an means to focus the UK aquascaping scene and get that growing.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Sam

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
First of, has this forum actually been started? I cant seem to find a link to it? And the UKASP website just takes me back here?

No, its not live yet. It wont be long though.

Also, its prob a bit to late, but do we really need another forum? The AE doesn't get all that much traffic, as most people tend to stay at the established places like TFF and APC and I had it hard enough keeping up with those let alone having another one. The really exciting thing about UKAPS for me was not that we could discuss things as in every other forum that already exiists but that it gives us an means to focus the UK aquascaping scene and get that growing.

General consensus is, is that we would like our own forum. It will help strengthen our identity and help coordinate our club aim being, to raise awareness of the hobby in the UK and therefore gain more support from all our LFS's. Its not just going to be somewhere to chat about plants and tanks :)

Dave Spencer

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2007
I was hoping for the new forum to be a little more advanced than TFF. Maybe have a section to welcome new people and provide a place to answer their questions, but also have a section for more advanced/knowledgeable people.

Sometimes, it can be become tiresome seeing the same old questions over and over again because people can`t be bothered to scroll down the page. How many times have you had to answer the question about what make good beginners` plants, Sam?

The more knowledgeable amongst us could probably take turns helping people out on the newbie section. I don`t want to sound like an ingrate because I know I was full of newbie questions, but it can be a bit wearing.

Dave.

neil1973

Prolific Poster
Dec 17, 2005
Stirling, UK
I think Dave makes some fair points. Perhaps a FAQ section could make things easier for those seeking advice as well as those giving it.

Neil

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
Dave Spencer;17781 said:
I was hoping for the new forum to be a little more advanced than TFF. Maybe have a section to welcome new people and provide a place to answer their questions, but also have a section for more advanced/knowledgeable people.

Sometimes, it can be become tiresome seeing the same old questions over and over again because people can`t be bothered to scroll down the page. How many times have you had to answer the question about what make good beginners` plants, Sam?

The more knowledgeable amongst us could probably take turns helping people out on the newbie section. I don`t want to sound like an ingrate because I know I was full of newbie questions, but it can be a bit wearing.

Dave.

Thats just a case of creating the right sections on the forum, which is no biggie at all. The forum will evolve over time, no forum is setup perfectly from the word go.

As with any new forums, members will have to be patient. If the same questions are being asked over and over, just dont read them and move onto another section?

Newer people to the hobby get confused (me included at the time!), and like to put different spins on similar topics. If the SAME person keeps asking the same questions, then yeah, we can strap them down and take the cat'o'nine tails out.

Whether the forum turns into a question and answer venue, or a cutting edge techniques discussion board will be totally upto the people posting. We will mod it obviously, to try and keep it somewhat sensible, but were not about to impose limits on it before we start.

Aeropars

Junior Poster
Apr 6, 2007
I think in some respects we need to have something happening to ensure we don't turn into 'just another forum'. We need to have a purpose that exposes a gap in the market as it were. Advice forums have been covered in depth already so we need to focus on something alternative. Perhaps something more interactive like tutorials, web-chats and podcasts. Something that actively raises planted tank supplier awareness. I think aqua essentials has a vast monopoly on planted tank stuff and you have to scrap around a load of fish shops to match this level of quality and range. After all, we all want this to work for selfish reasons.. we want to b able to produce the type of tanks our Asian friends produce and to be given the tutoring they have got as well as the cost effective priced equipment and vast range of plants.

I think if we hit a nerve in our approach it will create intrigue and hopefully praise from all over the world. Then new members will follow in their droves.

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
Aeropars;17786 said:
I think in some respects we need to have something happening to ensure we don't turn into 'just another forum'. We need to have a purpose that exposes a gap in the market as it were. Advice forums have been covered in depth already so we need to focus on something alternative. Perhaps something more interactive like tutorials, web-chats and podcasts. Something that actively raises planted tank supplier awareness. I think aqua essentials has a vast monopoly on planted tank stuff and you have to scrap around a load of fish shops to match this level of quality and range. After all, we all want this to work for selfish reasons.. we want to b able to produce the type of tanks our Asian friends produce and to be given the tutoring they have got as well as the cost effective priced equipment and vast range of plants.

I think if we hit a nerve in our approach it will create intrigue and hopefully praise from all over the world. Then new members will follow in their droves.

Absolutly right Aeropars. Youve just hit the entire club aim on the head. Bravo

Moody

Prolific Poster
Aug 31, 2006
Wirral, North West,England.
Aeropars;17786 said:

Very good Aeropars, very good indeed.
Some great ideas, and providing we have people around with the expertiese and time to give to put such ideas into fruition then anything is possible.

Cheers,
Graeme.