This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

our own forum

Discussion in 'UK Aquatic Plant Society' started by Frolicsome_Flora, Jun 23, 2007.

?

our own forum

1. Yes definatly!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No! Not ever!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but not yet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    6:08 PM
    Internet Shopping

Not to poo poo Aqua Essentials in anyway because they do have a very impressive range of product and top notch customer service compared to virtually EVERY other british site but...
    ...I do find that everyone on TFF and here seems to want to plug the place whenever they can. For a onestop shop they are OK, but I tend to 'fish' out bargains from other sources (mostly new) because I find that AE are very expensive compared to other places even after shipping.

I do think Richard is doing a good job though, because there is not a lot of choice in the UK and for people who don't want to look all over the place (and world in some cases) for their bits and bobs, then you can find everything there.

Thats probably me kicked out of the society but they are just my thoughts

Andy

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    And that is one of the goals of your club.

Richard deseves support and offers up an array of products.........however there are also other resources available and you should comlie a large listing!!

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Moody

Moody Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    The society is on hand for such this subject.

In the forum there is a where to buy section, within this section the UK is split into regions, then its up to the member to add worthy shops to the list in their area.Wether it be for Co2 ,plants or tanks.

As for online shops, we have a links page, in this page there is a section for online shops, so again the more people submit a link, the better the resources.

This is a public service announcement by the Ukaps :D

4. Frolicsome_Flora

Frolicsome_Flora Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    The forum that none of you can access yet :) but were nearly there, I promise!

We have a handful of members testing things out as we speak. We should be live within a week, so long as it doesnt rain some more and wash away our server!

Ive finished doing the links page on the main website now. Please all feel free to submit links for your favorite suppliers, sites. All links require authorisation, we'll authorise them as they come in.

5. themuleous

themuleous Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Well, I stand corrected, if we can pull this off then it sounds like it'll be a great forum, I guess more to show off aquascaping than to ask 'what's this type of algae'

I'll just have to turn the day into 25hrs long that cant be too hard...

Sam

6. Aeropars

Aeropars Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thats pretty much how i see we would have to be. I guess we're aiming at a very specific area of the market.

7. Paul999

Paul999 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Just an idea, and mabye not an original one?

How about if some media/computer savvy type person were to design a fairly printer friendly UKAPS poster that we all could print out and ask very nicely to display it near the plant tanks in your local fish shop?

Hopefully that may get to our target membership, especially those that probably don't even know that such a forum exists.

Paul.

8. Frolicsome_Flora

Local Time:
    well.. we can probably do better than that. When weve got some income if LFS's want a poster we will more than likely have some printed up to supply them :)

Im keen to say though, that its not just about the forum. If the LFS's dont have a planted tank section, then if your confident, offer to maybe set one up for them, and run it! Then you can teach them to maintain it and bobs your uncle/auntie!

9. ulster exile

ulster exile Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Speaking from the point of view of someone who isn't an expert in aquascaping or even keeping a planted tank, let alone making it look as gorgeous as some of the ones seen here and elsewhere, I have to say that it sounds like the forum might become elitist if that's the intention.

Surely the point of the forum is not just to talk about the heady issues that affect skilled aquascapers today, but also to help the inexperienced develope their own skills - some to higher levels than others? I don't imagine that I will ever have a truly stunning tank in others' opinions as I don't understand a lot of what it takes, but I try to pick up what I can and will be happy with a healthy planted tank.

Perhaps I have missed the point

10. Frolicsome_Flora

Local Time:

your absolutely right, the forum will be focusing on the whole of the hobby, from the basic knowledge, right upto the really advanced techniques. We want it to be somewhere that people of all abilities/understandings can flex themselves, and grow more confident as time goes on.

The forum could well be up later today, tomorrow AM at the latest.

Please remember though, the forum will be whatever we all want it to be.

11. Frolicsome_Flora

Local Time:
  12. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    i'm new here but i think a uk forum woud help build up a specific network of uk contacts...we could share things like:

• where can i get my co2 filled locally at a good price
      plalnt exchange - why buy plants when there are so many people here who propogate?
      meets, events

i know we can do a lot of that here, but being a sub-forum isn't likely to have the same energy behind such matters

13. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Then you better join up, that's already been done, go there and check them out.

Regards,
    Tom Barr