This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Otos and thread algae

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Simpte, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Simpte

Simpte Prolific Poster

Do otos eat thread/hair algae? I know they are great on diatoms but does anyone have any personal experience with them?

2. Jersey Scape

Jersey Scape Junior Poster

Re: Otos and thread algae

I had green fine threaded algae on my anubias leaves and the ottos took care of that within 2 days. I just fell in love with these little creatures....

3. brad

brad Prolific Poster

ditto. It`s the only algae I have right now and the ottos always look so full they could burst. Great little workers.

4. srozell

srozell Guru Class Expert

While I love my Ottos, I have a batch of Neocardina denticulata about to be released into the aquarium.

Are Otto's likely to eat the shrimp fry?

5. Simpte

Simpte Prolific Poster

Most likely not. They are not predatory in nature.