This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Otocinclus Vittatus and CO2

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by nazrm, May 4, 2011.

1. nazrm

nazrm Prolific Poster

I picked up some Otos yesterday, and they seem to be struggling with CO2. Heavy rapid breathing and not much movement. Is this common or do they just need to adapt? They did eat nearly all diatoms in the tank during the night. (which is very impressive!)

I've got Glowlight tetras and dwarf cliklids doing fine, no heavy breathing or abnormal behaviour.

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Otocinclus sp. are relatively sensitive to high CO2. In any case they don't show much activity during the day. If high CO2 is a problem for them, you will see them try to swim into the filter outlet.

They could also need some time to adapt. Check again in a few days. Every fish has it's own limit, so it's hard to comapre with other fish.

#2 dutchy, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
  3. Hallen

Hallen Guru Class Expert

I have the same expierence, a little less tolerant of Co2 than most other fish but not by alot. They do love their oxygen, be carefull not to confuse low o2 with high Co2.

4. nazrm

nazrm Prolific Poster

Thanks guys. They seem to be doing fine now, and I increased surface agitation a bit, just in case.

#4 nazrm, May 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011