This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

    https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Otocinclus stay at water line.

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Justlikeapill, Sep 14, 2015.

  1. Justlikeapill

    Justlikeapill New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2015
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    0
    Local Time:
    8:32 PM
    I have been trying to increase my Co2 (via pollen glass diffuser in a 45-P, superjet es-600 for filtration/flow) to combat hair algea (dosing "E.I.Daily" , with 3 ml's macro solution and 2 ml of CSM+B saturated solution daily.) I read that hair algae is related to low Co2 and ammonia (I have no ammonia..)


    I am at about 2.5 bubbles per second (I know, useless measure) and my Otocinclus at pretty much glued to the water line and sit there. I have been running it this high for a few days and they are still alive... so... I see no frantic gasping. Previously I was at 2.3 bubbles per second and they were still very lethargic, but did actively feed and swim during the day.... still not very active compared to lights off when I raise the lily pipe. Then they go crazy and come to life.


    I have my lily pipe set so that the top of the glass is at the surface to get maximum surface agitation. I raise the pipe for several hours at night, so that my drop checker is blue in the morning. At the end of the day it is green-yellow.....


    They aren't dead yet, but they just sit there all day at the surface.. occasionally one will swim around to go to another place at the surface.


    Plants start pearling around mid-day through the eight hour photoperiod. I start the co2 1 hour before lights on and it goes off at the same time as the lights.


    I am not sure if I have too much CO2 or too little O2. Any suggestions?


    PS: for what it's worth, at my previous bubble count of 2.3 I had introduced 10 amano shrimp.By day two they were white, day three they were all dead.3 hour drip acclimation. They also just sat there, all behind one large rock.... Could 2.3 be too high as well, or could it be my almost nonexistent KH and GH levels?


    I feel like I am chasing a dragon.
     
  2. Solcielo lawrencia

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2013
    Messages:
    1,007
    Likes Received:
    44
    Local Time:
    8:32 PM
    Low CO2 does not cause hair algae, nor will increasing it get rid of it.
     
  3. Justlikeapill

    Justlikeapill New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2015
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    0
    Local Time:
    8:32 PM
    I had thought I read that it was caused by unstable CO2 and ammonia. My mistake... This is a six month old tank, religious monthly filter cleanings, no mulm... Great flow. Aquasky 451 is perhaps too powerful, but I can not add a dimmer (as far as a know) nor can I raise it higher. Over the course of several months is has really given my bolbitis a beating...


    Regardless, my main concern for this post is regarding he behavior of my fish.
     
  4. Jessy2363

    Jessy2363 Junior Poster

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2015
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    3
    Local Time:
    8:32 PM
    I am having the same problem. Just starting using Co2. Have it set around 15mg/L at present. Not sure I want to go higher yet as I want my fish to get used to it. Do you think that 15m/l will cause algae if my light is medium to high? It's staghorn I believe. A white hair like algae. Like white pubes kinda lol.
     
  5. burr740

    burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2015
    Messages:
    1,398
    Likes Received:
    1,298
    Local Time:
    2:32 PM
    BBA is generally a CO2 issue. Hair algae usually means simply too much light relative to nutrient levels, CO2, or plant mass. Your "almost non-existant GH/KH" is a concern. Probably need some type of GH booster to add Ca and Mg. That's just a quick observation based on limited info.


    Otos are usually the first fish in my tank to show signs of CO2 stress. They all park themselves on the front glass in a high flow area and just sit there.
     
  6. Justlikeapill

    Justlikeapill New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2015
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    0
    Local Time:
    8:32 PM
    I bumped it down to 2 bubbles per second, an inserted some metal window screen between the LED's and the acrylic protector in my aquasky (so that you can't see the screen.) The Otos are moving more a lot ore but still seem to prefer to be near the top.


    I am pretty nervous about turning the co2 down...


    On hand, I have magnesium sulfate and calcium chloride. I did a water change and added a quarter tsp of each to five gallons of replacement water. Do you think this is enough? I have always been leery of messing with the GH because I seem to be incapable of keeping FW shrimp alive even after three hour drip acclimation (no problems with SW shrimp, ever.) I had assumed it was because I was using GH boosters in the past, so I had stopped (of course, shrimp still die..)
     
    #6 Justlikeapill, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  7. bcarl_26gal

    bcarl_26gal Junior Poster

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2014
    Messages:
    64
    Likes Received:
    0
    Local Time:
    8:32 PM

    Solcielo, based on your observations of Oto's in presence of metals could this be to much micros? Also the shrimps deaths? The OP is dosing .2 Fe daily assuming he is following the EI daily correctly.
     
  8. Solcielo lawrencia

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2013
    Messages:
    1,007
    Likes Received:
    44
    Local Time:
    8:32 PM
    Yes, it's most likely due to heavy metal toxicity. Otos appear to be very sensitive compared to other fish. Excess iron can damage gills and can compel them to gasp at the surface to get more oxygen. Excess copper and perhaps other metals can damage olfactory and reproductive systems. Other physiological effects are probably occurring that cannot be determined from visual observation.
     
    2 people like this.
Loading...

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice