Oto feeding

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
As most of you know, if you follow Tom's guidelines, your Otos can end up being fairly unhappy and starved -- there's not much algae to eat. I have 4 Otos in a 29G non-CO2 tank.

In the past, I've created algae-covered rocks in a glass jar (water with ferts) in the sun. The Otos really enjoy these rocks. Recently, however, I thought I saw one of those cyanobacteria types of algaes in my algae jar, and I was afraid to put the rocks in my tank. And, I was a little slow to start a new jar.

Well, my Otos said, "OK, if you are not going feed us algae rocks, we'll figure something else out."

I have 4 Panda Corys in my 29G tank. Each day, I drop in 2 very small pieces of HBH Veggie Wafers for some extra food for the Pandas. For those who have never had Pandas, they typically find these veggie wafer pieces in 5 to 10 secs and start sucking on them. They end up wasting more food than they take in, I'm sure -- they are rather messy. A few days ago, my Otos caught on and now feed with the Pandas. They'll suck on a wafer piece, if given the chance, but mostly they eat the scraps from the Panda feeding frenzy. The first time I saw 8 fish around a wafer, I thought, "Hey, I thought I only had 4 Pandas!" Looking closer I saw the Otos in the fray.

For those who have trouble keeping their Otos happy (fed), I thought this might be helpful.

I'm sure the algae is better for the Otos nutritionally, so I'm hoping they still get a little algae here and there. I'm going to stop the algae jar for now.