Osmocote

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
I recently was at a HD and was looking at the osmocote. I saw two different bottles and wasn't sure which to get. They had bottles for flower and vegetable, and the other was outdoor and indoor plants. Also, I noticed that they were small beads. Which one should I use and how much of it (small beads) should I use? I spoke to Tom about it briefly but not knowing what it was or ever seeing it I had no clue. He told me to freeze it in ice cubes and place in the substrate. Again I'm not sure how much of the beads to use in a cube. Thanks...

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Remember Just Because You Are Paranoid, Doesn’t mean “They” Are Not Out To Get You!

Hi,

I like and use the Osmocote Plus (15-9-12 plus 9 micronutrients).:gw

I have heard there are some “lo-start, hi-start and standard” versions available, I would stick with the “standard,” apparently by manipulating the prill thickness “they” can determine higher or lower dosing rates.:)

Most folks put say half-teaspoon of prills in the bottom of each ice cube and fill [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]3 [/SUB] or [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]2 [/SUB] with water.:)

Biollante

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
This is what the Osmocote Plus 15-9-12 with micros container looks like. Page 3 of the following pdf lists the ingredients: http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/osmocote/OsmocotePlusPlantFood.pdf

OsmocotePlusMultiPurposePlantFood15.jpg

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Thanks guys! I will look into this one. Biollante you said to use half a teaspoon and fill the cube half full. Should they be places every 3-5in apart?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
You Are ever So Welcome!

jerrybforl;72570 said:
Thanks guys! I will look into this one. Biollante you said to use half a teaspoon and fill the cube half full. Should they be places every 3-5in apart?

Hi,

How much and spacing rather depends on how heavily planted and if you have heavy root feeders, Echinodorus spp. for instance you may not want any spacing. (A little care in not placing too many ice cubes in one place at the same time:eek::rolleyes:.)

Given a little common sense there is no wrong answer, in other words just don’t get carried away.:cool:

Biollante

jasonwantyou

Junior Poster
Aug 12, 2011
hi all,

Im from Malaysia and wish to buy the Osmocote Plus. any idea to get it? i cant find it at Malaysia. can help?

Jason

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Thanks Biollante! Thats what I figured.

@Jason...sorry don't know how you can get it. It's at the hardware stores here, so it's very easy to get.

jasonwantyou

Junior Poster
Aug 12, 2011
only one found in my hardware shop (Oscomote indoor and outdoor) not the Oscomote Plus that i want... so sad..

can anyone send me some for testing?

Jason Wong

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
jasonwantyou;72578 said:
hi all,

Im from Malaysia and wish to buy the Osmocote Plus. any idea to get it? i cant find it at Malaysia. can help?

Jason

Do you know who is the distributor of Osmocote in Malaysia? Try checking them out.
Being unable to find it in shops doesn't mean it's unavailable in your country.
I'm in Thailand, had a hard time finding the plus version here too.
But I was sure it's available here by checking at the Thai distributor's web site.
At last I finally got it from a very small store.

It seems big retail stores have problem about product variety,
fierce competition for shelf space.

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonwantyou

Junior Poster
Aug 12, 2011
nipat;72643 said:
Do you know who is the distributor of Osmocote in Malaysia? Try checking them out.
Being unable to find it in shops doesn't mean it's unavailable in your country.
I'm in Thailand, had a hard time finding the plus version here too.
But I was sure it's available here by checking at the Thai distributor's web site.
At last I finally got it from a very small store.

It seems big retail stores have problem about product variety,
fierce competition for shelf space.

Thanks for your reply....
the Osmocote's distributor in Malaysia is Ace Hardware and they didnt import the PLUS version.
Can i get from you? I believe postage fee not expensive compare i bought it from US.

Do let me know if you willing to help me

Thanks in advance

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
So guys turns out this wasn't so easy to get for me! I looked all over the place here in Miami and even called Osmocote to ask who carries it. I eventually ordered online...

dundadundun

Junior Poster
Jun 23, 2009
i went some time ago looking for O+ locally without searching on line where to get it. after a few hours i finally settled on regular osmocote.

i still had plenty of diy clay root tabs, so it was some time before i used any osmocote. when i started using them, though i did the fertcicles. i thought out a few ways of keeping the osmocote balls from settling to the bottom, but couldn't get over the idea of one of my kids eventually putting one of the fertcicles in a cup and drinking it and was tired of trying to shove them in the substrate behind obstacles in my tank before they melted and/or slipped out of my hand.

so i made up some pills...
attachment.php

just over 700 to be exact

it wasn't long (couple seconds) before i figured out this wasn't going to be a happy experience, but i didn't want to freeze or make anything for a long time. so i came up with this...
attachment.php

my procedure was as follows...
1 pluck capsule from bag and separate top and bottom
2 place bottom upside down into bottom of funnel and pour osmocote in
3 holding funnel and capsule above bowl, lift funnel off of capsule and replace top of capsule
4 toss full capsule in box and repeat
*** i used the container lid to hold the osmocote that was going into the funnel and replaced the excess run off from the bowl as necessary

took a couple hours, but all in all, it was worth it. i no longer have to make root tabs when i need them.

but then there was the question of how to successfully get them deep enough into the substrate fast and easy. after some searching i came up with a solution...
attachment.php

it's a baby medicine syringe from a bottle of little tummys gripe water found at any wally world and probably most pharmacies. i just cut the tip off and added the rubber band to set the stopper length. sinks right in and the plunging action helps to release the capsule at the desired depth.

i've had good results thus far. i just dose my micros in the water column. i don't have to fuss with making anything any more and the syringe has been a life saver IMHO.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
dundadundun;76295 said:
i went some time ago looking for O+ locally without searching on line where to get it. after a few hours i finally settled on regular osmocote. ...
I used regular Osmocote one time. I put it on the bottom and covered it with E-C. I had algae the whole time that the tank was running. There is a lot of ammonia/ammonium in regular Osmocote.

dundadundun

Junior Poster
Jun 23, 2009
Left C;76305 said:
I used regular Osmocote one time. I put it on the bottom and covered it with E-C. I had algae the whole time that the tank was running. There is a lot of ammonia/ammonium in regular Osmocote.
i've seen you post that before and knew you were going to again. hence the prelude of how and why prior to the pics illustrating use of the indoor/outdoor formula. i've had good luck, personally. however, i still think the rest of my post may be of use, here. i find it terribly convenient to just grab and go once the capsules are made up and feel that others may appreciate that convenience once the stuffing process is finished.

DISCLAIMER: i don't advocate nor do i suggest purchasing regular osmocote formulas for aquatic purposes. basically my decision to just go with it was born out of complacency spawned by the frustration of dragging a 6 yr old through store after store.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
I like your method a bunch. Below is the O+ that I used. I put it under my Amazonia. I could of munked up by doing this. But, so far, my aquarium is doing well. I don't have any algae issues. A few times a week I have to pick out bladderwort strands in the moss.

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Left C...How do you apply the osmocote into your tank? Fertcicles? If so, how many do you put in each pocket of the icetray?

my procedure was as follows...
1 pluck capsule from bag and separate top and bottom
2 place bottom upside down into bottom of funnel and pour osmocote in
3 holding funnel and capsule above bowl, lift funnel off of capsule and replace top of capsule
4 toss full capsule in box and repeat
*** i used the container lid to hold the osmocote that was going into the funnel and replaced the excess run off from the bowl as necessary

HUH...??? LOL...sorry but you lost me. Are you saying that you pour the osmocote into the bottom of the cap and then place the top of it back? I ordered off of Ebay. There is a higher percentage of Phosphates in the regular stuff too. O+ has more micros in it as well so that's why its the better choice of the two.

I will start off with Biollantes directions and see how that goes.

dundadundun

Junior Poster
Jun 23, 2009
Left C;76316 said:
I like your method a bunch. Below is the O+ that I used. I put it under my Amazonia. I could of munked up by doing this. But, so far, my aquarium is doing well. I don't have any algae issues. A few times a week I have to pick out bladderwort strands in the moss.

i'm totally aware of O+ and how it's available. the shaker is just the 6 month formula. the 3 or 9 month formulas, i think only come in 50# bags. that's a little much considering my 3# supply should last me quite a few years, lol.

jerrybforl;76320 said:
(1)HUH...??? LOL...sorry but you lost me. Are you saying that you pour the osmocote into the bottom of the cap and then place the top of it back? I ordered off of Ebay. There is a higher percentage of Phosphates in the regular stuff too. (2)O+ has more micros in it as well so that's why its the better choice of the two.

(3)I will start off with Biollantes directions and see how that goes.

(1) absolutely... fill bottom, then put top on. if you set up similar to what i have in the pics and read my directions, it should be pretty straight forward. i think since you don't have everything in front of you, it's making visualizing it difficult.
(2) i believe O doesn't have micros at all and that O+ does. i could be wrong.
(3) definitely! try any way you can and see what works best for you. i did it that way at first, too. i had to start somewhere and had i not, i wouldn't be doing it the way i am now.