Osmocote and Surfactants

Guru Class Expert
Aug 19, 2010
Netcode said:
The note about ammonia, as I said, I continue to add it myself. Where I currently have no fish yet, I need to feed the BB.

​​I received a picture from the seller of the bag he had, he's using genuine osmocote.

That is a lot.. I only use six small capsules.

I'm pretty certain osmocote contains surfactants and polymer coatings, both which can effect the surface tension. Why it's showing up in my tank and not others, still remains a question. It also remains a question if it's even harmful or just a nuisance. There was nothing else added to the tank, just plants.

if you're thinking it is something else, what could it be? I've tried researching other issues, but nothing makes sense. Snails secreting oils? Most other articles say water quality, but besides the air bubbles mine is crystal clear and levels check out. Also I did a 50% water change after the bubbles first appeared and they immediately continued after.

Wish I was a scientist haha.

UPDATE: I just checked my pH and it is down to 6.4 all the way from 7.8. My tank has always been stable at 7.8. This is the first time I have checked pH since adding the osmocote two days ago. I also checked my KH which is now below 10ppm, when normally it sits around 40. So something is creating an acid and using up the KH. This may be totally unrelated though.

Cannot find material safety data sheet for the ammonia you used(Jbs) but more than a few brand's contain surfactant (soap).

Polymer for Osmocote aid's in slow release, and even after inserting the osmocote into the substrate and filling the tank with water,the stuff takes a while before it begin's to leach nurient's into the substrate /water column to benefit plant's (hence the phrase slow release).

I too have used the osmocote without issues such as those in photo for around eight year's now,and several different set up's.

Believe osmocote has ammonium nitrate and that along with dosing ammonia with possible surfactant's would be my suspect.

Does not explain (to me anyway the pH jumping about unless gravel is comprised of or contain's aragonite,coral,or lime.

Do post up the brand name of the ammonia you were dosing at what rate?

Netcode

Junior Poster
May 3, 2016
Quick update while I have a second.. time is at a minimal these days to get online.

Cannot find material safety data sheet for the ammonia you used(Jbs) but more than a few brand's contain surfactant (soap).
Jbs was not the ammonia. I was answering a question back to the user Jbs. I used Old Maid ammonia. Verified via material safety data sheet to contain no surfactants.

So, it have been months since I have removed the osmocote from my tank. No bubbles anymore, ever. Everything is running great. I say to myself, why not give those osmocote another go. So I throw in two tabs. Next day, bubbles.

Nothing appears to be effected by the surfactants or whatever may be causing the bubbles, but it is confirmed that those osmocote tabs are the cause.

Hope someone finds this helpful somewhere down the line.

Cheers

Julia Adkins

aquariumfertilizer.com
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2015
Napa, California
www.aquariumfertilizer.com
Good to see that your problems with the osmocote have been resolved. You might want to consider buying dry fertilizers as they are quite easy to use and much less expensive than buying fertilizer in solution. When you buy your fertilizers already mixed with water you pay fertilizer prices for water and then you pay to have the water shipped to you. Why not just buy fertilizer and add your own water?

JCote

Junior Poster
Sep 15, 2016
Montreal, Canada
I am planning to add plants in my gravel. I have been reading and plan to add diy root tabs. However, I cannot find osmocote plus in my local store. Is there any big chain carying this product. I am in Montreal Canada

burr740

Micros Spiller
Feb 16, 2015
Wal-mart carries it if you have one of those nearby. You would think Home Depot/Lowes would have it, but the ones near me only have the regular version, not the "Plus."

The Plus has both micros and macros, the regular only has macros.

Netcode

Junior Poster
May 3, 2016
Julia Adkins said:
Good to see that your problems with the osmocote have been resolved. You might want to consider buying dry fertilizers as they are quite easy to use and much less expensive than buying fertilizer in solution. When you buy your fertilizers already mixed with water you pay fertilizer prices for water and then you pay to have the water shipped to you. Why not just buy fertilizer and add your own water?

I have been hesitant to use dry ferts. Why? I guess I am scared to use something that I have to do myself rather than a product that was designed and made for aquariums by a trusted source. So here I sit broke buying water with nutrients from Seachem :p

I think some of my hesitation also comes from all the chemical short names and not knowing what is what and how to use. Something I have never dove into. I understand you are connected to aquariumfertilizer.com. I took a look and don't totally understand the mixes. I don't see a need for potassium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, or mono potassium phosphates. Seems like way too much potassium in my opinion, and sulfate, but hey I am no scientist. Potassium Nitrate seems to contain enough potassium, but maybe not enough nitrate?

Either way, this gets a bit off topic of the thread.

burr740

Micros Spiller
Feb 16, 2015
The dry salt names can be confusing seeing them for the first time. I remember they were to me starting out, not having a chemical background or anything.

But once you come to recognize them, it's really very simple. Just spend a little more time reading up on things.

Reactions: sarpijk

Anne

Jul 10, 2020
Geneva
Quick update while I have a second.. time is at a minimal these days to get online.

Jbs was not the ammonia. I was answering a question back to the user Jbs. I used Old Maid ammonia. Verified via material safety data sheet to contain no surfactants.

So, it have been months since I have removed the osmocote from my tank. No bubbles anymore, ever. Everything is running great. I say to myself, why not give those osmocote another go. So I throw in two tabs. Next day, bubbles.

Nothing appears to be effected by the surfactants or whatever may be causing the bubbles, but it is confirmed that those osmocote tabs are the cause.

Hope someone finds this helpful somewhere down the line.

Cheers
I know this post is several years old but this exact thing just happened to me. Bubble bath galore. My fish seem to be fine, and I've been doing water changes every three days, wiping down the glass, water testing, more water changes, etc. Adding aquarium salt helped initially, but this is going to be a problem for a while, I think. What fertilizer are you using now? No more osmocote plus for me.