optimum lighting for 100g

duce

Junior Poster
Sep 22, 2015
Tianjin, China
Im planing my 1st high tech planted tank and was originally planning on metal halides but after reading a few threads here im stumped.

One of my problems is that i live in china so its either almost impossible to find 100% real western brands such as finnex or they cost way too much here.

My tank is 150Lx50Wx60H and I was planning on metal halides as i thought high light was better for plants but ive realized that is not the case.

If i went with a 4xT5H0 fixture im looking at either odyssea or wavepoint what level would my lights be at.

Also does anyone here have any experience with chinese brand lights or recommendations.

Thankyou

Pikez

Rotala Killer!
May 12, 2013
Close (but not too close) to LA
I've used Wavepoint and they've been more reliable than other Chinese lights. But that's not saying much. Sorry.

Most plants LOVE high light. That's not in question. The issue with high/very high light is that CO2 needs and nutrient needs go up and if you fall short on either, you end up with algae and/or deficiencies. It's much, much easier to do your first high-tech tank with low to medium light - much more forgiving. Once you've mastered the art of CO2 fertilization and growing plants really well without algae, then you can think about going high light. Starting with too much light is one of the biggest mistakes people make with high tech tanks. Go high-tech + low-light first…this describes almost all Amano-style tanks.

duce

Junior Poster
Sep 22, 2015
Tianjin, China
Pikez i know exactly what you mean about reliability, ive been here since 03 and the only thing i rely on is ho unreliable everything os here. Would the wavepoint lights put me at low or medium lights. Also one of their main selling points is how.great their reflecrtors are supposed to be. I lnow that the bulbs are most likely average at bestbut was hoping that was at least true.

burr740

Micros Spiller
Feb 16, 2015
Just going by pictures, the WPs that have individual reflectors for each bulb should be highly efficient. Never used one so I cant speak to their reliability.

I'd definitely stay away from Coralife. They are junk units with crappy reflectors.

PhilipS

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 10, 2014
GMT -700
2 foot deep tank requires powerful lamp. That's a nice tank. Don't go cheap on the lights. Metal halides are great for illuminating football stadiums and are too hot for homes.

Kessel LEDs are rated for 24" diameter and will light up your aquarium floor well. Choose any Kessil A150, A160 or the monster A360.

Use LEDs as they don't transfer much heat are more energy efficient than Fluorescents.