This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Optimum Light Period

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by ame, Nov 3, 2008.

1. nerbaneth

nerbaneth Guest

Local Time:
    11:46 PM
    I have heard that strobing your lights is affective at keeping algae away.

ex-
    Using two 6/5 hour photoperiods with a 4 hour break inbetween.

I used this to my advantage over summer when I wasn't home 8 hours of the day, this way I could see my fish in the morning and at night (I stay up until 1pm or so..)

I'm not sure if this affected algae or not (no real scientific proof) but I didn't have much at the time and my plants were still growing well.

Hope this sparks some interest,
    -Nerb

2. ER9

ER9 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:46 AM
    i would love to see hard scientific data on this as well. i tried this approach with staggered lighting for the same reason. lights on from 7am until 1 pm and 2pm till 8pm. all i can say for sure is at the time is i had an algae outbreak like there was no tomorrow. so bad i considered giving my tank away. i have since cut back to 8 solid hour photoperiod...amoung other things and all i can say is my algae woes are stabilized with some regression.

unfortunatelly i am a begginer and have made other changes to my aquarium besides the lowered photoperiod so its hard to say that was the cause. all i can say for sure is it didn't seem to inhibit my algae at the time.

3. rich815

rich815 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    5:46 AM
    I too had algae issues when I did two 5 hour periods (6-11am and then 5-10pm). I had read (though not sure if it's proven) that while algae gets up and going very quickly after lights come on that the higher plants take longer to get their "engines revved up" and to take advantage of the lighting. Therefore it would seem a broken up lighting period would favor algae and a longer single light period while not exactly favoring either would allow plants to grow better and have more success in out-competing the algae.

I went to a single 8 hour period (2-10pm) and most of my algae issues practically disappeared (GSA, BBA). I also notice that the biggest pearling of my plants does not start until about 6pm and things are pearling like mad by 8 or 9pm. So it would appear that the strongest growth and pearling may be happening 4-6 hours after the lights have been on. If I'm doing short periods of 4-5 hours then I hardly or never even get to that point.

I do have my CO2 go on 2 hours before the lights do and my CO2 drop checkers are lime green by the time the lights go on so it's not a matter of the CO2 needing to reach enrichment of the water...