This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Optimal filtration for dense tank - advise wanted

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by borman, May 19, 2010.

1. borman

borman Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    9:55 PM
    Dear Friends.
    I faced with new big question and problem.
    My new tank design have 2 very very dense group of plants in the background. (more than 500 stems of Rotala Sp green from each side+very dense M.Umbrosum)
    View attachment 1414
    While this bushes was in process of grows and forming - everything was quite good. But now when scape is ready I really dont know how to organize best filtration and water current.
    Main problem that in this 2 group of plants accumulate a lot of scum. And even my 2 1200/l hours filters+1 surface hanging skimmer not allow me to "push and suck" this scum. And of course as result i have thread algae outbreak (first time in my 3 years hobby)
    So for me is main question is how to organize inflows and outflows of my filters to solve my question
    I attached schematic picture of my plants and current filters locations.
    View attachment 1415

Any advise will be very helpful
    Thanks
    Larry

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    9:55 PM
    Fluff the plants when you do water changes, also, consider more frequent water changes. Get all the dirt off the plants.
    Consider uprooting instead of topping and good water changes after trims.

Flow seems fine to me.

Regards,
    Tom Barr